Duda Diesel B3-36A 20 Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having now tweaked my cooling system method over several brewdays, I've been getting amazing performance from this chiller. Most recent batch was 5.75 gallons after killing the boil. I cooled the wort to 180F, and held that temp for a 30 minute hop whirlpool, then transferred directly through the chiller to the conical maintaining a 65F exit temp. Sent the entire volume of cooling water to my rinsed out mash tun which I use later to clean my system. I do utilize my old immersion chiller, set inside a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler filled with ice water as a pre-chiller, and from there, straight to the Duda chiller (I use the pre-chiller water in the cooler to flush my system after cleaning, then save it for houseplants). It took about 8.5 gallons and only minutes in time. I know there are other positive reviews of these chillers but, being very impressed with my results, wanted to weigh in.
IMG_3622.jpg

That's great performance! I have an old copper chiller and a spare cooler sitting around! Thanks for the ideas!

@yorkeken I just bought this plate chiller, but stepped up to the 40 plate for larger batches. Glad to hear how well it has worked for you. Any problems with hops clogging up the chiller? Are you using a spider or bags to separate hops, or is the whirlpool enough to keep the wort flowing through the chiller?
I went to the 36-40 because of the larger channel size and a desire to get away from the ice/pre-chill, hoping this would help. Will brew next weekend for the first time with this chiller. Would appreciate any suggestions.

@yorkeken I just bought this plate chiller, but stepped up to the 40 plate for larger batches. Glad to hear how well it has worked for you. Any problems with hops clogging up the chiller? Are you using a spider or bags to separate hops, or is the whirlpool enough to keep the wort flowing through the chiller?
I went to the 36-40 because of the larger channel size and a desire to get away from the ice/pre-chill, hoping this would help. Will brew next weekend for the first time with this chiller. Would appreciate any suggestions.
I use a 6" diameter hop spider, 300 micron I believe... even with that, some fine hop debris makes its way into the chiller... just flush/back flush with near boiling PBW water seems to do the trick for cleaning. When you open up the valve initially to recirculate and sanitize the chiller (last 10 minutes of the boil), open it slowly as air blows hard out of the chiller and into the boil kettle until purged completely by the wort. My ice/pre-chill process is really only necessary during the summer months here in CT. During the rest of the year, I really don't need it. These chillers are amazing! Good luck.

Back