Duda chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimixdiver1

Reaction score
I'm getting a 60 plate chiller from Duda, anyone have any issues with them?

Hopefully with the pulsing of my CIP pneumatic diaphragm pump will help clear any debris, just wish they made plate and frame chillers smaller and within budget, I so like to be able to take them apart for cleaning.

Thermaline is the only home brewer friendly frame setup out there. And it is spendy. No problems with my duda. Why so many plates? I have a 40 plate "36" model. It works great

I have a 30 and a 20 plate that I run in series. They work great, I can't imagine how well a 60 plater will work.

I have a 20 plate Duda and it serves me very well on 10gal batches. Recently built a stand and installed a thermo inline with the chiller output and saved myself a wealth of time by transferring when the output temp reached pitching temps, instead of waiting for the whole batch to reach pitching temps. Id say it took 15 min with 64F ground water.

I have a 20 plate Duda and it serves me very well on 10gal batches. Recently built a stand and installed a thermo inline with the chiller output and saved myself a wealth of time by transferring when the output temp reached pitching temps, instead of waiting for the whole batch to reach pitching temps. Id say it took 15 min with 64F ground water.

do you mean you just transfer with one pass from hot in BK through chiller to the frementer? Thats also what I do with my 20 plate duda and as far as I understand thats how most use them... its the most efficient way for sure..

The best value is the 18" 20 plate Duda, which I have. Works great. Based on data I would not get anything smaller than a 12" regardless of the number of plates. The length affects heat transfer more than the number of plates, and the number of plates affect the pressure drop. The graph is from data from the Duda web site about a year ago when I was researching plate heat exchangers. The data is based on 5gpm water flow, but I forget what the inlet temp was, and the wort gpm to get a particular temp transfer from the wort to the water outlet. I'm on a well with very low output so I needed a very eff. chiller. The well water temp stays around 63F year round. Once I empty the expansion tank (5 gal) that is in the crawl space and running water directly from the well I can transfer my wort (5.5 gal) from Kettle (200F) to fermentor (68F) in 5 min typical.

Duda graph.PNG

Duda graph 2.PNG

The best value is the 18" 20 plate Duda, which I have. Works great. Based on data I would not get anything smaller than a 12" regardless of the number of plates. The length affects heat transfer more than the number of plates, and the number of plates affect the pressure drop. The graph is from data from the Duda web site about a year ago when I was researching plate heat exchangers.

I have read this too... which is why I went with a long 20 plate model.... I cant help but laugh at those who spent literally over twice as much on a short 30 plate model which doesnt work as well just because it says Blichmann on it...:drunk:

do you mean you just transfer with one pass from hot in BK through chiller to the frementer? Thats also what I do with my 20 plate duda and as far as I understand thats how most use them... its the most efficient way for sure..

I do multiple passes. I go BK>Pump>Chiller>Whirlpool Port

I was only able to get in the 80sF with the single pass method, so that is why I chill the entire batch in the BK now. I didnt used to have a thermometer on the output side of the chiller, so I would take my temps from the BK, waiting for it to chill to pitch temps. Now with a thermo inline, I run off into the fermenter as soon as I see the output (not the wort inside the BK that is a higher temp) reach mid 60sF. Saves me a bit of time and H20
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432156283.322051.jpg

Wort output temp after 7 min, yet the actual volume in the kettle is still >120F

I do multiple passes. I go BK>Pump>Chiller>Whirlpool Port

I was only able to get in the 80sF with the single pass method, so that is why I chill the entire batch in the BK now. I didnt used to have a thermometer on the output side of the chiller, so I would take my temps from the BK, waiting for it to chill to pitch temps. Now with a thermo inline, I run off into the fermenter as soon as I see the output (not the wort inside the BK that is a higher temp) reach mid 60sF. Saves me a bit of time and H20
View attachment 279383

Wort output temp after 7 min, yet the actual volume in the kettle is still >120F
You must have very warm water... I have to almost shut my pump off in the summer due to warm water but it still chills in one pass and in the winter I am able to run my pump at about 1/2 -2/3speed..
you do have a shorter chiller than me judging by the pictures though.

Here in AZ the ground water is really warm. I am building a stand where there are 2 smaller 12" 20-plate dude chillers. One will loop city water, often 80 plus degrees, and the other will loop ice bath water. Plan is a single pass enroute to the fv.

Just used the 60 plate, holy cow! Figures I used on a saison I want to keep warm. Had city water 1/4 open 1/2 valve at 50psi and dropped it down to 75f at 3gpm wort flow.

A++++

Back