Dubbel vs. Quadrupel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
What are the differences between a quadrupel and a dubbel?

Boulevard Smokestack has a Quadrupel I would like to make something similiar.

Thank you

The biggest difference is gravity. Check out the recipe database, I'm sure there's a good quad. Make sure to pitch plenty of yeast, if you don't you will end up with a very sweet beer and Belgian beers are all about dryness.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that a dubbel and a trippel are recognized belgian styles, where as a quadruple is just american marketing BS.

The BJCP catagory is actually "Belgian Dark Strong Ale." Rochefort 10, Westvleteren 12 and Chimay Grande Reserve are examples of beers that fall under this catagory and they are Abby ales. I think they use Quad to glorify the beer, make it seem extraordinary, marketing is important though.

Iordz said:
The biggest difference is gravity. Check out the recipe database, I'm sure there's a good quad. Make sure to pitch plenty of yeast, if you don't you will end up with a very sweet beer and Belgian beers are all about dryness.

Thank you for your help in my posts Iordz

Brewing Classic Styles has a nice looking Belgian Strong Dark Ale in it, try that out. Also, as a side note, the bar nextdoor to my place just got Leffe Bruin on tap. It is the only bar in NJ to have it(so they say). This is a great Belgian Dark ale that I fell in love with on draft in Amsterdam.

Back