Dual voltage RIMS element circuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I'm looking for any feedback on a control circuit to select either 120 or 240 for my RIMS element. During the RIMS operation the 120 is more than adequate to maintain mash temperature, but I have other plans for it, double or triple duty if you will, and want to be able to run 240 as well. The element is a 4500/240 ULWD so it's good to go.

I'm running a PID step controller driving an SSR. The most simplistic thought I had was to use a suitable (double throw) switch to toggle the non-SSR leg of the element between Neutral (for 120) and the other line (for 240). This only down side that I've thought of on this is what switch to use. I can get high current switches (20a), but they are not the cool left/right turn switches that make the panel look good. Homedepot has a 20 amp toggle switch for $6 so that's a compelling choice, but damn it it won't look good or be obvious which position it's in from far away.

Any suggestions on an alternate design, or a source for the typical selector switches capable of 20 amps? The ones that Auberins have are only 10 amps, and their high current ones are only On/Off.
I know I can do it with relays and a standard switch, but I really don't want relays. I probably even have a contactor with both NO & NC contacts that would work, but it's almost as big as my panel.

Be careful, I would use a 3 position switch so you break before you make. Hate to see the neutral and hot share the same load.........

Latest posts

Back