Dual use of 30 AMP outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadiBrewer

Reaction score
I have a dedicated 30 AMP circuit in my garage for my brewery. I installed a dryer outlet to power my control panel.

The wife has asked me to put an air conditioner in the garage so that she can put her treadmill out there. I want to install a 220V split unit air conditioner and I want to use the same circuit as the dryer outlet because I don't have any more room in my sub panel and the dryer outlet is almost exactly where I would install the air conditioner.

So the question is, is there a switch or some other box/panel that I could install that would allow me to hard wire the a/c unit but also have usage of the dryer outlet? I would never use the a/c and the brewery at the same time. What are my options for this?

Dont know what code will say about it, but what you're basically looking for is a DPDT switch. Basically the center position is off, Position 1 is output 1, position 2 is output 2. Same concept as an element selector switch in a brewery control panel. Technically you could just build a box with 2 contactors, and a DPDT "Output" switch. Dryer plug plugs into the 30amp 240v outlet. Then you plug the brewing controller, and the AC into the box, and select between the two. Again, this is probably not up to code however as i'm fairly certain a minisplit AC unit needs to be hardwired

Why dont you just look into a 120v mini split (i'm assuming you have a spare 120v outlet/circuit nearby?)

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the 120v mini split option. That may be the easiest way to get this accomplished.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the 120v mini split option. That may be the easiest way to get this accomplished.

As long as your garage is insulated and finished, a 120v minisplit should be plenty. If its a bare space, you might want to consider finishing it first as any air conditioner in a space not finished off, will be a massive energy hog, especially during the heat of the summer

If they're close together couldn't you just add a dryer plug and a slightly longer cord to the AC so you could plug it into the same outlet as the brewery?

or just dont use one while using the other? if you forgot you would trip the breaker in short order.. I have a lot more than 100a worth of circuits on my old houses 100a service... its normal you just dont run everything at once, just like not running the toaster at the same time as microwaving oatmeal and making coffee (unless you have a new home with multiple dedicated circuits)...

seriously, This could be solved with a simple sticky note reminder on the panel.

As far as code. as long as they both "plug in" it meets code just as having multiple 15a plugs on a single 15a circuit/breaker does in any house

Last edited:
Another consideration is adding in a 120v 20a line with dedicated neutral for the treadmill. Also, your wife might be better served by a giant fan than an AC unit - and I say that runner, cyclist, 2x Iron-distance and 5x 70.3 distance triathlete. I'd rather it be 85° with a big fan blowing than 75° from an AC unit. That being said, if the wife wants it to workout, might be best to do what she asks.

And if your garage panel is full, you may want to seriously consider upgrading to a larger panel. Depending on code, if you have to have an electrician come out, the time and call is the biggest expense. A bigger panel runs $150 or so, and if you ever decide to add a welder or table saw, or more likely, an electric car charger at some point in the future, at least you already have the upgrade.

from a pure code standpoint, most (if not all) of those split systems require their own dedicated circuit, per the manufacturer's installation instructions. one of the long-standing pillars of the code is that equipment must be installed and operated in accordance with manufacturer's instructions. a receptacle and permanently wired a/c unit on the same circuit would fall under the rules of multiple-outlet branch circuits (an 'outlet' is defined as the location where electricity serves utilization equipment and doesn't necessarily need to be a wall receptacle). for a 30 amp circuit, the plug-connected equipment shall not exceed 80% or 24 amps. total load on circuit is 30 amps so if the panel and a/c exceeds 30 amps, technically a code violation. practically not a problem but technically a violation. if the a/c is on a receptacle, the rules are more lax in that the installation itself is not a violation, it falls on the user to not plug both items in at once.

and a second to @mirthfuldragon, wind is way better than temperature, especially if running. even if walking on the treadmill, a breeze feels better than a/c.

I figured it was probably a code violation to simply add the wired a/c unit to the existing circuit and just not use the brewery panel at the same time. I was hoping for some miracle code-approved switch box that would allow both to be on the same circuit but only one in use at the same time. As @itsnotrequired indicated, the installation brochure does indicate that it should be on a separate circuit, so even the 120v unit won't be installed to code unless I run a new, dedicated circuit to the unit. So, sounds like if I want to meet code requirements, I'll need to upgrade the panel and add another branch circuit. Or, I'll look more closely at how my outlets are bundled on the circuits and see if I can repurpose an existing branch by removing the outlets on that branch.

As for the comments about having a fan rather than an a/c unit while working out, I totally agree. But wifey wants it and who am I to throw up an obstacle to her working out? Also, putting a/c in the garage will allow us to move the younger boy's full drum kit from the living room to the garage, which won't be a bad thing.

although not explicitly allowed by code, the switch @sicktght311 mentions would meet the intent and you could probably convince a code official to buy off on it. there would physically be no way to run both items at the same time.

I figured it was probably a code violation to simply add the wired a/c unit to the existing circuit and just not use the brewery panel at the same time. I was hoping for some miracle code-approved switch box that would allow both to be on the same circuit but only one in use at the same time. As @itsnotrequired indicated, the installation brochure does indicate that it should be on a separate circuit, so even the 120v unit won't be installed to code unless I run a new, dedicated circuit to the unit. So, sounds like if I want to meet code requirements, I'll need to upgrade the panel and add another branch circuit. Or, I'll look more closely at how my outlets are bundled on the circuits and see if I can repurpose an existing branch by removing the outlets on that branch.

As for the comments about having a fan rather than an a/c unit while working out, I totally agree. But wifey wants it and who am I to throw up an obstacle to her working out? Also, putting a/c in the garage will allow us to move the younger boy's full drum kit from the living room to the garage, which won't be a bad thing.

You can also make room by putting in double breakers that fit one slot, typically 15A ones. This is how I made room for the 30A breaker myself. In your case, double up two existing ones to make room for the dedicated 120V AC line.

You can also make room by putting in double breakers that fit one slot, typically 15A ones. This is how I made room for the 30A breaker myself. In your case, double up two existing ones to make room for the dedicated 120V AC line.

Plus one. I did this when i installed my hot tub. Easy as pie

I'd just have two receptacles, one for the brewery, one for the air conditioner. Run 'em both a the same time, the breaker pops and that's that.

See @augiedoggy 's post above--most circuits have multiple receptacles and the capacity to run more amps than the breaker is rated. But they aren't all run at the same time.

I have a sub-panel in my garage run off a 60-amp breaker in the main panel. In that I have two 30-amp circuits (one for brewing, one for heater), plus a couple of 20-amp circuits.

I just don't run them all at the same time. One of the 20-amp circuits runs my RIMS controller and element. But I'm not running the 5500-amp element in the BK at the same time, so if I have the heater on, but not the heating element in the BK, but also have on the RIMS panel....well, it's fine.

I think the switch idea is killing a fly with a sledgehammer, personally....

I totally agree that a switch is over thinking this problem. I just wanted to see if there was a way this could be done that meets code, having both the outlet and the hard wired a/c on the same 240v branch. I'm 99% sure I'll go the 120v route and repurpose one of the 120v branches or upgrade the panel and add a new branch.

A little late to this party but have a similar question but thinking of going a different route.

I have a 30amp dedicated dryer plug for my control panel. Can I wire the mini split to a dryer plug and use the same outlet? Would mean only one plugged in at a time and the majority of the time it would be the mini split.

A little late to this party but have a similar question but thinking of going a different route.

I have a 30amp dedicated dryer plug for my control panel. Can I wire the mini split to a dryer plug and use the same outlet? Would mean only one plugged in at a time and the majority of the time it would be the mini split.
Does the area really need a mini-split or would a free-standing 120v room air conditioner with a window vent work?

Back