Dual Use for Turkey Fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewssuds

Reaction score
I have a turkey fryer which works quite well for all grain batches.

As Thanksgiving is coming up, I had the bizarre idea that I would use the turkey fryer for -- get this -- frying a turkey.

Does anyone know if this is this a "safe" thing to do? If I ensure that the fryer is fully cleaned after frying said turkey, will it be OK to continue using it for all-grain batches? Or will the first couple of batches have an underlying "fried turkey" taste to them? (which might be interesting).

Also interested- bought a used one yesterday, and would rather not have my thanksgiving ale taste like turkey :)

been there and done it already. I didn't have any turkey taste to the beer. Be sure to clean it very well!!!! I actually boiled the oxiclean in the pot before I used it again. But I think that may have been over kill. I would at least boil some water in it before you brew to see if you get any oil slick at the top to know that it's clean.

My fryer came with an aluminum pot and I went ahead and got me a SS pot for brewing. You can pickup another aluminum pot pretty cheap if you wanted to keep one for brewing and one for frying.

By this, you mean without stains, not stainless steel, correct? I believe most are aluminum.
No, I mean Stainless Steel not steel free from stains. I don't fry turkeys so i am no expert; I have seen/ heard of an aluminum pot being used to fry turkeys but I have never seen an aluminum turkey fryer pot.

Mine is aluminum. I boil a gallon of vinegar and a cup of salt in it. I also put my immersion chiller in there for good measure. It cleans the bejeezus out of all of it.

I would think that an occasional dual use would be fine provided that adequate cleaning is performed prior to the next brew session.

Maybe you should be worried about making your turkey taste like beer.:D

I just steamed 60# of crab legs in my 60qt. aluminum pot, cleaned it with a mild detergent and I don't smell any unusual odors. I'll be brewin' in it soon so we'll see. It seems like a waste to have a dedicated pot for every use.;)

I've done it many times. In Aluminum to.(people need to quit this stainless is better ****.... in fact I thought we got done beating that horse a year ago.)
Clean it well afterwards and there are no problems.

Latest posts

Back