Dual Stage Temp Control (Inkbird ITC-308) Space Heater question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hi All-

I have an Amana Full Size Fridge as my firm chamber. I had a Johnson A419 temp controller but I just swapped it out for an Inkbird ITC-308 dual stage controller.

In the winter i need heat at the end of fermentation (but not a lot of heat in my garage in California).

Anyway, I have a small space heater fan that I could stick in the freezer portion on top of the fridge... but that seems like overkill and I can't think that freezing a space heater would be good long term.

Does anyone use a Foot Warming Rubber Mat instead? Would that be fine (without a fan)? Seems more temperature resistant.

Or is the little space heater safe to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's basically a 90W heater. If it doesn't get in the way of things it should do just fine.
fwiw, I use a 60w appliance bulb as a heater in my 17cf ferm fridge in an unheated space that can get down into the mid-50s around January-February and it works just fine...

Cheers!

I performed a test today using the space heater that I already own.... seemed to work fine so I am going to try it on my next batch (10 gallons of Azacca Single Hop IPA).

I didn't like the idea of having the space heater in the freezer but I figured out it could sit at the bottom of the fridge. Does anyone else do this?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446953473.037079.jpg
(I see that the power cord could go behind the glass shelf... now that I look at the photo.)

You should have no problems with the space heater your temp controller will control the on and off just fine for the temp. Many brewers use various things to heat with such as wraps on fermenters, light bulb in paint cans, heating pads, ect.

Back