Dual chamber fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
So....I've built a fermentation chamber out of 2" rigid insulation. I planned a divider in the middle to create two chambers and use fans thru the divider to cool the warmer side via the cold side. My idea was to use dryer vent flaps to prevent air leakage from cold to warm, however I don't think the computer fans I have will open the dryer vent flaps. Any other ideas?
Afraid if I use too big of a fan (to force any flaps to open) that I will overshoot (too cold).

WOW...$65.95? Just get a second craigslist find at that point.

To the OP, I would suggest an idea based on my extremely limited fluid mechanics and physics "ideas". (Meaning I am guess, based on knowledge I don't recall where I learned it.) :fro:

If you want to keep the air from circulating on its own, you could easily build a ventilation system out of PCV that relies on the physics of hot and cold air to keep things seperate.

Build two U shapes out of pvc and hang it upsidedown over your divider. (I assume you would want to cut out a tight fitting groove, or make sure to caulk it up tight.) The arms of the U would be open and reach down to within a couple inches of bottom of fermentor. You attach a fan on end of one arm of one of the U's. This way when the fan is not running, cold air is heavy and will sit in bottom of one side. Warm air is lighter and will float to the top, but it won't be able to 'automatically' travel up one side and down the other.

The reason for two is you need return air as well.

Clear as mud?

In my dual chamber setup. I just cut two rectangular holes at the top of the divider.
One hole is for the fan (used to cool down the chamber). The other is the return hole.

Seems to work fine.
I use the refrigerator to cool the right side.
I use the fan to cool the left side.
I use a hair dryer to warm the left side.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back