DSPR320 vs DSPR120

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzimm27

Reaction score
I am about to start building my controller. I honestly know the DSPR120 is all I need. That said I am intrigued by the possibility of using the timers on the DSPR320 for either heating strike water automatically on schedule for the next morning or potentially for step mashing. I do gluten free brewing so depending on the mash routine I am using I have to add enzymes either all at the beginning (easy) or at each mash step (which at that point I might not want automated steps as I would need to be present to add the enzymes...why not just manually adjust for each step.

I am having trouble finding this in the manual but seem to believe I have read that the step programming can be disabled To basically make the 320 run like the 120 in a neutered mode. I have no problem with the extra 30-ish bucks to get the 320 if I might use it, but just don’t want to end up with something that is annoying to deal with if I don’t use the program modes And just want to turn the dial to adjust target temps. Can anyone with a DSPR320 confirm whether it is a good fit for me with above goals? Thanks in advance!

I built a 3-vessel HERMS and I have a 320 controlling the element in my HLT and a 120 controlling the element in my BK. I was a bit on the fence about using the automated mash step routine as well but now that I have it, I wouldn't go back. You can actually set it to hold before initiating the timer at a given step. So if you're heating from 145 to 155 or something, when the temp gets up to 155, it will alarm (or trigger a remote alarm if you've wired one up) and hold at that temp (so you can add whatever you need to the mash) until you click Run on the controller, at which time the timer will start. I use this function when i het to initial strike temp so it won't automatically start the mash timer until I tell it to (so that I can actually add the grains).

IMO it's worth the few extra bucks.

I built a 3-vessel HERMS and I have a 320 controlling the element in my HLT and a 120 controlling the element in my BK. I was a bit on the fence about using the automated mash step routine as well but now that I have it, I wouldn't go back. You can actually set it to hold before initiating the timer at a given step. So if you're heating from 145 to 155 or something, when the temp gets up to 155, it will alarm (or trigger a remote alarm if you've wired one up) and hold at that temp (so you can add whatever you need to the mash) until you click Run on the controller, at which time the timer will start. I use this function when i het to initial strike temp so it won't automatically start the mash timer until I tell it to (so that I can actually add the grains).

IMO it's worth the few extra bucks.

That does sound useful. I would be using this for eBIAB so it would double as my boil controller too. If you disable the step programming does it work the same as your DSPR120? Would using the step programming on the mash mode somehow force boil mode into needing to be programmed? I think the programming is neat and all, but if I just want to dial the knob to set a new temp for mash or increase/decrease boil vigor, I don’t want to have to spend 5 minutes modifying a step program to do it.

I’m currently working with 125->145->175 step mashes but routinely did 185->145->185 with my previous enzyme regimen (again this is gluten free brewing with rice, millet, and quinoa so a bit of a departure from the barley-norm) so having that step program to achieve a step and wait/rest/alarm for me to get the next enzyme addition in, stir, or even running the CF chiller to drop temp would be almost ideal.

No need to disable "step-programming" to boil. There is a command entered at the end of each step that tells the EZ Boil what to do next. Using command "CONT" will automatically end the MASH program and execute the first step of the BOIL program.

Works great!
:mug:

I use the DSPR-120 and I like its simplicity. I step mash based on the timers in Brewfather and just walk over and change the set point manually. No problem for me especially since I rarely step mash. If I brewed at home, I would like the DSPR-320 just for the ability to heat ahead of time. I will not trust electrics to come on at my store (where I brew), while I'm not yet in the building.

Back