DSC's Planet Earth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Since we got the Aquos and HD DVR, I've been recording all of the Planet Earth episodes that Discovery HD airs. I'd never seen it before, just heard things. Now I see what the talk was all about. Every other scene sends chills down my spine, and, I'll be honest, a few times I got teary-eyed. It's that incredible. The people who filmed and edited this stuff are heroes. I've watched Fresh Water and am in the middle of Deserts, and have maybe 8 more on the DVR. This show alone is enough to justify standing in line in the cold outside Circuit City on black friday. I mean, I'm sure it's cool on standard def, but HD is unreal.

Even if you don't have HD, watch this show anyway. It's unbelievable.

I always forget to watch that show. Ive seen the HD DVD set for sale around town but its like $80 and i dont have an HD DVD player.

I want to get an HD DVD player JUST so I can buy the series. This is something that every child should watch several times during their education. I'd almost say that one week of each school year should be devoted to this series.

I agree. I have all of the episodes on the DVR (but no HD) and I go back to them from time to time because they're so interesting.

If you like that series you should also check out The Universe on the History Channel Tuesdays at 9 pm.

I watched a couple episodes on my parents very large HD tv. It was frikin amazing and I don't know how the hell they got those shots :rockin:

I agree, this show is absolutely breathtaking.

Watch the caves episode--the part with the scuba diver is cool as hell. He swims through an area where salt and fresh water meet, can't remember what it is called, but it is pretty freaky. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

Dude said:
I agree, this show is absolutely breathtaking.

Watch the caves episode--the part with the scuba diver is cool as hell. He swims through an area where salt and fresh water meet, can't remember what it is called, but it is pretty freaky. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

I saw that one and I think it was called "halocline". It was pretty awesome...

The "Making Of" video is even more impressive. Once you know HOW they got those shots, you appreciate it 10 times more.

Cheesefood said:
The "Making Of" video is even more impressive. Once you know HOW they got those shots, you appreciate it 10 times more.

Like how they camped out for days in the freezing cold trying to get just a few minutes of footage on a rare mountain cat. An incredible amount of work went into each episode of that series.

The Expedition Borneo series was really well done too, but on a much smaller scale.

My favorite of the Planet Earth series was actually on the birds in the galapagos. I could not believe their freakish mating dances. If you missed it you have no clue. Check it out.

Soulive said:
I watched a couple episodes on my parents very large HD tv. It was frikin amazing and I don't know how the hell they got those shots :rockin:

I know. I'm really impressed at their perseverance, too. Like on "Deserts", they waited around for like a week trying to get footage of these elusive, rare camels in the Gobi who can smell a human from 4 miles away and are very skittish. That's dedication!

cheezydemon said:
The Expedition Borneo series was really well done too, but on a much smaller scale.

My favorite of the Planet Earth series was actually on the birds in the galapagos. I could not believe their freakish mating dances. If you missed it you have no clue. Check it out.

No kidding. By far, my favorite of the animals. "Birds of paradise" is what they are called. Freakish specimens, indeed.

I rented part of the series but haven't seen them all. The whole series is above and beyond anything that has ever been done before. Now the episode with the chimps... That ****ed me up! I remember hearing an NPR article about the difference between chimps and bobo's. Apparently we share the same percentage of genetic make up (96% I think) of both species. However the chimps are violent and fierce, the bobo's are well sex fiends and not violent.

One of the best shows on TV - EVER. The only bad thing is that they take up a TON of room on the DVR when you record them in HD.

rdwj said:
One of the best shows on TV - EVER. The only bad thing is that they take up a TON of room on the DVR when you record them in HD.

yeah, that's my problem now. I got 30 hours of HD or 200 hours of SD. I've gotta take it easy!

That show is F#$king awesome in HD. They should just loop it in the showroom.
I watch it with my 4 year old - one of the few things on TV these days that interesting / appropriate for the littler ones.

One week is nothing! For the arctic episode they stayed on site all year to film the "penguin huddling"! Could not have payed them enough. I wish we had HD. :(

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
One week is nothing! For the arctic episode they stayed on site all year to film the "penguin huddling"! Could not have payed them enough. I wish we had HD. :(

holy crap!

Yeah, I think I remember a commercial that said they had 2000 days worth of film for the whole series. That's inSANE!

Go get the shot of the impala being hunted by (forget the animal) they were in a helicopter with dwindling fuel! You can be a photographer and still be hardcore!

Costco has the series on sale this week, something like $10 off the regular $59 price. I presume we are talking about the same program. It was produced by the BBC. I don't have cable so I don't get Discovery, but I have a set, and bought one for mom for Christmas. They are fantastic!

Brewpastor said:
Costco has the series on sale this week, something like $10 off the regular $59 price. I presume we are talking about the same program. It was produced by the BBC. I don't have cable so I don't get Discovery, but I have a set, and bought one for mom for Christmas. They are fantastic!

That's a good price - will have to look into that

that series is amazing...i hope my roomate buys that hd dvd like he's been talking about...I'LL buy the series!

it's all about the deep sea episode. Vampire squid FTMFW!!!!

blacklab said:
I watch it with my 4 year old - one of the few things on TV these days that interesting / appropriate for the littler ones.

My kids love the show too. I always wonder why other animal shows feel the need to show ALL the gore. Ya, I know that's what really happens, but it scares the **** out of the kids.

Another advantage to buying the DVD over saving them on your DVR is the DVDs are narrated by David Attenborough, not Sigourney Weaver. Personally, I thought she was terrible.

Dude said:
Another advantage to buying the DVD over saving them on your DVR is the DVDs are narrated by David Attenborough, not Sigourney Weaver. Personally, I thought she was terrible.

The Sigourney voice-over must be the Americanized version since it was actually a BBC/Discovery joint-production.

Dude said:

Sigourney Weaver? Of all the choices in the world why Sigournet Weaver?

Chairman Cheyco said:
The Sigourney voice-over must be the Americanized version since it was actually a BBC/Discovery joint-production.

I wonder if it was the same script too? I noticed a few "jabs" taken at global warming/taking care of the planet issues. Sigourney made it sound really desperate.

Dude said:
I wonder if it was the same script too? I noticed a few "jabs" taken at global warming/taking care of the planet issues. Sigourney made it sound really desperate.

The joke's on her. We have the planet on HD now!

:rockin:

You can actually buy both versions on DVD. Depends on where you buy it. Read yer small print. ;)

I used to work for the Discovery Channel Store, and we were even hyped-up and proud of this series on the store level! Amazing stuff.

The footage of the snow leopard was absolutely stunning.

Dang, I just checked the discovery store and the one for sale there is the Weaver version. :(

Dude, do you have the Blue-ray version? I wonder if that makes a difference...

Back