Drying your tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Do any of you have a good recommendation on how to best dry out siphoning tubes.

Just letting it hang doesn't seem to cut it. didn't dry it out well after the last batch and weeks later it had some mold.

In the future I'd like to build or buy something for drying out carboys and tubing, forced air with some heat. If anyone has plans for something like this or knows of a good commerical version, please let me know as well.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I would also be interested to know how many people NEVER dry their tubes (i.e. leave them soak in bleachy water or other sanitizer). I tried letting mine sit in Star-San solution once, and then quickly realized my mistake (turned the tubing into a goopy white mess). But maybe other methods work, like soaking in a mild bleach solution or another sanitizer?

I rinse mine out then whirl them around ("windmill" Cheesefood :drunk: ) as fast as I can to get out as much water as I can. It doesn't get it all but it is better than nothing. I would definitely be interested in a better method.

I do the windmill thing too. Never had mold. I suppose that the folks that have air pumps could use them to dry out the tubes, though I bet it would take a while. Anyone know the specs on the standard 3/8 hose from the LHBS? If it could stand up to freezing, you could just toss them in the icebox when they're mostly dry and just bring them back to room temp on brew day. I'll give it a try with an old hose I have here and see how it stands up. Probably put it in a ziploc to keep any smells from creeping in.

I'm thinking about using something like one of the items on this page here.

http://cozywinters.com/bootdryers/

Maybe a PVC attachment with different sized tubes coming off for carboys, and siphoning tubes as an attachement, and I'd still be able to use it for a boot dryer the rest of the time.

I get a good windmill going with mine, then smack the wife on the ass with it. That sudden stop when it hits her tends to dislodge even the last few stubborn drops of water still left in it.

Jester4176 said:
I get a good windmill going with mine, then smack the wife on the ass with it. That sudden stop when it hits her tends to dislodge even the last few stubborn drops of water still left in it.

..and the pipe?

Brainstorming here, How about a Hair Dryer with a Funnel, then the funnel hole small enough to put the 3/8 tubing on. Would that work?

sAvAgE said:
Brainstorming here, How about a Hair Dryer with a Funnel, then the funnel hole small enough to put the 3/8 tubing on. Would that work?

I've thought of that as well. If you could come across the right size funnel it would probably work just as well. The only reason I came up with the boot dryer idea is because I have a similar problem fully drying my carboys. Probably just a humidity issue here in Hawaii.

I run sanitized water through my pipes, and it works just fine. I got mold exactly once (I forgot to rinse out after racking) but it wasn't nothin' some pipe cleaner and wire hanger couldn't clear out! What? That's why they call it pipe cleaner!

Drying isn't a problem here.
Here's a thought for those of you in humid climates. Mold hates UV, so hang them up in a sunny window.

Latest posts

Back