Drying a Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I know this is so basic, but is there a common trick to drying out a carboy.

Fnding a way to hold them upside down is tricky.

you can buy a drying rack at an online retailer or your LHBS.
I'm sure someone else has come up with a DYI version around here-give the search a try. I personally just let them sit there. you're going to santize before use anyway.

How about a carboy dryer?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7155

7155.jpg

I have (mostly) all of my carboys in milk crates. I place a couple layers of cardboard in the bottom of the crates for cushoining. I plug the opening of the wet carboy with a paper towel and turn upside down to dry.

Not much more you can do IMO. :D

a plastic ice cream pail or something similar with some holes cut out around the sides work great

I bought a couple 1 gallon paint pails from the hardware store for $1 each. Cut a few holes in them and put some non-slip tape around the rim of the pails and you have a nice cheap carboy drier

Evan! said:
I've never dried a carboy. Not sure what the purpose is. It's just gonna get more star san soon anyway.

I guess your right.
Living in the heat and humidity of Florida, you get kinda leary of leaving things damp.

Don't dry it. I leave star san in mine. After they are cleaned, I pour in a gallon or two from another carboy and put the carboy cap on. Then it's ready for the next brew.

I fill with about a quart of iodophor, swirl, and then wrap the neck with Saran Wrap. A couple of swirls, unwrap the neck, dump the sanitizer, spritz a few sprays of fresh sanitizer inside, and good to go.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
I agree with Evan, you should leave Florida:p

Hey, call me when your done shoveling the driveway, I'll be drinking by the pool. :D

Plan9 said:
Hey, call me when your done shoveling the driveway, I'll be drinking by the pool. :D

Ha! Call us when you're sweating your junk off and hiding in the A/C, we'll be drinking by the pool.:p

Plan9 said:

And I'll be fermenting in a 60º basement all year long :ban:

Plan9 said:

I haven't had to shovel my driveway once this year. Global warming is making VA like San Francisco! Yay!

You call me when it's 1000% humidity outside and 110 degrees and the skeeters are swarming and the last thing you want to do is go outside and your brewhouse's ambient temps are in the triple digits. :p

raceskier said:
OBTW, I brewed outside yesterday in shirtsleeves, just like I do in the summer.:p

You pig:D I was born out there and know what you're talking about, 75F, 24/7, 365. Might need a light sweater in the evening chill.

Evan: your summers(and mine) suck!!! mid-atlantic 100% humidity @ 95F w/ friggin' skeeters. I'l take our winters over summers any day of the week. We do have it nice in the spring and fall:mug:

Back