Dryhopping with handled/opened hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Just did a Simcoe Pale this weekend and have about 1/2 oz of a Simcoe plug left over that has been handled and is open (sealed in a ziploc bag). I was thinking about dry hopping with this but then I thought it may not be sanitary considering I have handled the hops (They were plugs so I had to break them up to get my weights right). I am not planning on going to secondary with this beer, planned on putting the hops in with about 5 days left in the primary then bottle. Just trying to get a general consensus on rather I should do this or not, I do realize that there will be alcohol in the fermenter by then so essentially it should be ok, but maybe not?

I have done it and the beers come out fine. Unless you spit on the hops or something, I would not worry.

As long as they've been in a clean ziploc, I'd use them. Hops have natural antiseptic qualities. You should be fine.

You do know where hops come from?

2113-img_1005.jpg

hahahaha i seriously cannot stop smelling the hops when i divide up the additions and have them waiting to go in the boil... I would seriously lose it in there haha.

Back