Dryhopping on the yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I have a new conical fermentor, which I have a 10 gallon batch in right now. This is my first time using it. I have hit my expected FG, and its been 10 days. I used to just dry hop in my primary carboy before, on the yeast, with no issues. Now that I have the ability to drop the yeast out, I am curious if I should do this before I dry hop? Part of me wants to dry hop, so I can let the yeast clean up a bit more if needed, but then I have heard that dry hopping on the yeast will cause the oils to bond with the yeast?

I would like to get the dry hops going so I can transfer the beer out next weekend and get it carving up so I can start a new batch.... But, not sure if I should dump out the yeast before dry hopping, or do what I normally have done in the past, which is dry hop on top of the yeast.. :drunk:

If you dump your yeast before dry hop, you won't have to worry about the washing the yeast to get rid of hops. Just save the slurry and repitch.

Well, what yeast is in suspension should be the same as yeast in suspension as secondary besides what has floccuated as far as dry hopping. Yet if you have the means to easily dispense the yeast now then why not rid of it?it shouldnt matter either way?

I havent heard of what you have except that if you add hops while the yeast is still fermenting or dropping krausen yet that it would be a waste of hops in that case. Unless there was a theory proven against adding hops from primary after fermentation compared to dryhopping secondary. What I was aware of before though, is that people were adding them near the end of fermention still and getting good results and claiming it was a good technique- for hop character.Unless that has changed and proven that the best results would be to get it off the yeast-Im not aware of that.

I think there is more to it than technique though, One is what if the hops themselves just happen to be fresher and more potent than when these people are comparing techniques and stages of dryhopping? Something I often think about.

If you dump your yeast before dry hop, you won't have to worry about the washing the yeast to get rid of hops. Just save the slurry and repitch.

Thanks for the reply... I guess I should have mentioned that I am not planning on reusing this yeast. The next beer I am making needs a different strain.

So, dump or not to dump! I assume yeast still clean up even when dry hopped? Its been 10 days, so I'm not sure there is much to clean up tho...

Well, what yeast is in suspension should be the same as yeast in suspension as secondary besides what has floccuated as far as dry hopping. Yet if you have the means to easily dispense the yeast now then why not rid of it?it shouldnt matter either way?

Ah, yes.... Very good point! Guess dumping at this point is a fine idea.. You made my decision for me, thanks!

You should be sure the beer is at FG & has dropped out clear or slightly misty first. That way,the little bit of yeast still in suspension to carb with won't effect the quality of dry hop aroma as much.

Thanks for the reply... I guess I should have mentioned that I am not planning on reusing this yeast. The next beer I am making needs a different strain.

So, dump or not to dump! I assume yeast still clean up even when dry hopped? Its been 10 days, so I'm not sure there is much to clean up tho...

But what about the batch after the next? Why not save at least some of that yeast to refrigerate that you could make a starter from? I wouldn't just dump it....:eek:

Back