Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksharp

Reaction score
Hay everyone.

I'm about to start my first batch. Its a DME 5 gallon portland style hef. I'm using a dry yeast, and i don't want to hydrate it (just becuse this is my first bacth and i don't want the extra hassle) the guy at my LHBS sead i can just through the yeast in there with out hydrating it, but i should use two packets.

Not that i don't trust my LHBS, I just kinda want to get other people opinion on this.

thanks.

Congrats on the first of many batches.

Throwing the yeast in dry will kill half of the cells due to shock. rehydrating will give the yeast time to adjust and split away from each other as they are tightly packed together when dried. Who said rehydrating was a hassle? So easy, you can use plain old tap water, no need to boil.

Just toss 1 packet in there. Should be fine. I would encourage you to try re-hydrating it, as more cells will survive, but many people have done fine with just straight pitching the yeast on top of the wort.

the few beers ive done (4 mr beers and now my first big batch) i've just pitched the yeast dry and had results. Can't say it's the best way or not, I just know it has worked.

Cheers!

Whenever I use dry yeast I just pitch it dry I never rehydrate. I have never had a problem with any of my brews.

I rehydrate dry yeast when I bake bread and when I brew beer. It's not that difficult.

Although, I seem to remember reading from one of the dry yeast suppliers that their dry yeast packets weren't intended to be rehydrated because they were packaged with nutrients or something like that.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I pitched a single packet straight into the fermenter for my first brew. The beer didn't ferment as well as it should have, so two packets might di the trick.

Since then, I have always rehydrated dry yeast. For what it's worth, rehydrating is simple and you'll probably find yourself with plenty of time while boiling. I've had much better results in fermentation when rehydrating vs. the one time I didn't. Good luck on the first brew and have fun. :mug:

Rehydrate. Don't avoid following good brewing practices out of fear. Following instructions makes fear go away.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

bene-gesserit.jpg

Be the Maud'dib of beer!

:mug:

Bob

I have done both ways and got beer both ways. Now i always rehydrate. it is simple to do. I do it before I start. All I do is get a 1 cup measuring cup. Put tap water in it check the temp and than add my yeast. When im done brewing it is ready!! It is very easy.

I've never had a problem not rehydrating - when in doubt, read the packet and do what the manufacturer recommends. It's no big deal, it'll make beer either way.

Cheers!

Thanks every one for there feed back. I ended up re-hydrating after all. However, I think I re-hydrated a little early. I did it right after boiling, so it sat while the wort was cooling. :confused:

Thanks every one for there feed back. I ended up re-hydrating after all. However, I think I re-hydrated a little early. I did it right after boiling, so it sat while the wort was cooling. :confused:

What dry yeast are you using?

It typically takes 20-30 minutes to rehydrate, at least that's what Fermentis recommends. You're fine, no worries.

Back