Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I'm totally sold on dry yeasts now. I've made about 20 batches with the new fermentis and Danstar yeasts - and just started lagering a batch with the new W34/70 Weihenstephan strain. It's great to just pitch and watch. No starters, or oxygenation - great.

So - my question - how much flavor characteristics does the yeast contribute? In pulling up a couple of winter beer recipes from last year (before I started trying the dry yeasts) that I used whitelabs yeasts in - how much difference can I expect if I use dry yeasts instead?

Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

So far, Ive used:
Saflager S-23
Saflager W34/70
Safale 05
Safale 05
Windsor
Nottingham

I just pitched my first dry (notty). I agree, that is really easy. I did re-hydrate mine, but I think I could have just cut and dumped and it would have been fine.

I normally use Wyeast. I have a lot of frozen wyeast in my freezer, so I will continue to use them and make starters. I wish wyeast would deliver their many strains dried. And for < $1. That would be sweet.

When I began using dry yeasts early this year - I was carefully following the re-hydration instructions. After 3 batches - I did my 4th without re-hydrating. I just sprinkled into the wort - waited 10 minutes, then swirled the carboys.

It started fermenting just as fast and attenuated just as much (which has invariably been lower than other yeasts).

I've done all since without re-hydrating.:mug:

Most dry yeasts are really really clean yeasts, they don't contribute that much, though us-04 and notty are considered "bready" tasting yeasts.

I use dry for about 90% of my brewing, But for yeast driven styles, those that the yeast DOES contribute such as belgians I use liquid....

Back