Dry yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
So, I got really drunk last night, and though it would be a good idea to prep my yeast.

So I added my DME, boiled it up, poured it into my sanitized flask, and then added my DRY YEAST.:eek::eek:

So this morning I had a vague idea that I screwed something up, then I found the Starter, and it all came back to me.

There is no activity that I can see, I do not have and airlock on it but I do have a rubber carboy cap with the hole for an airlock.

What next? I anted to brew today, and I thought I had another pack of yeast, but I can not find it, if I do.

Is this going to be pitchable?

Tim

You don't need to make a starter for dry yeast as the amount of yeast (in an 11g packet) is the correct amount of yeast for the average 5 gallon batch.

It's preferable to not make a starter and just rehydrate with dry yeast.

The starter has probably fermented out already, as you've pitched enough yeast for 5gal into probably less than a quart of wort.

Is there a layer of yeast on the bottom? Does it smell like (or similar) to beer? If 'yes' to both of these you should be fine to pitch it. As long as there isn't any off-aromas then there shouldn't be any dramas.

You don't need to make a starter for dry yeast as the amount of yeast (in an 11g packet) is the correct amount of yeast for the average 5 gallon batch.

It's preferable to not make a starter and just rehydrate with dry yeast.

The starter has probably fermented out already, as you've pitched enough yeast for 5gal into probably less than a quart of wort.

Is there a layer of yeast on the bottom? Does it smell like (or similar) to beer? If 'yes' to both of these you should be fine to pitch it. As long as there isn't any off-aromas then there shouldn't be any dramas.

This I know....but I was pretty basted last night....:D

I have not sniffed it yet. It does not look like beer, it looks like a small amount of wort with a crap load of yeast in it, really cloudy, nothing has seemed to settle to the bottom. I will give it a few more hours and check on it to see if it starts to clear.

When I looked at this morning, there were no signs of activity, no krausen ring left on the glass or anyhting of that nature.

Tim

it looks like a small amount of wort with a crap load of yeast in it, really cloudy, nothing has seemed to settle to the bottom. I will give it a few more hours and check on it to see if it starts to clear.
It is pitchable, no sediment means it is still working.

Well whatever happens....I have to wait until tomorrow to brew anyhow.

Started playing with my daughter and the day got away from me.

Tim

ok, it has settled out. Everything looks ok, and if it smells ok in the morning, can I use it?

I was thinking about just draining of the wort, and pitching the yest at the bottom. Looks pretty clean, no trub or chunks or what-not.

What do you think?

If I can not use this yeast it will be a week or so before I can brew.

Tim

I'd use it. Hopefully you weren't to :drunk: to remember to sanitize everything that went into the starter?? :eek:

No, I did that. I only use a flask and a rubber carboy cap to make my starter.
I just boil everything in the flask, less to mess with that way.

Tim

Back