Dry Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
Dose any one make a starter when using dry yeast? I've only used dry once way back when I first started brewing with an extract recipe. My LHBS was out of what I wanted so I subed out dry.

(shurrgs) I dont, i just pinch in... crude i know but i have yet to have problems with just adding the dry yeast stright to the fermenter

No, you should change the amount of dry yeast you use in order to pitch the correct amount of yeast.

You can use this to determine the correct amount of dry yeast to pitch: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator.

In fact, a starter will only hurt the dry yeast. The have been dried "frozen" in a state of high glycogen reserves and ready for wort. A starter will only deplete these reserves.

The thing is this beer I'm going to brew is going to be pretty big around 8% I hope. I just wanted to give the yeast a leg up so to speak.

Thanks that calculator is now in my favorates.....problem solved

JZ says hydrating in tapwater appears to be the best way to get max viability out of dry yeast.

Back