dry yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ethangray19

Reaction score
I searched for this topic and could not find it, though I am sure it has talked about alot.

I made a starter from dry nottingham yeast and then pitched it into my 1.062 OG IPA.

Is that a problem?? I made a starter for my last brew from liquid yeast and it worked so well i decided to go for it again but this time with dry yeast.

No problem here right???

devaspawn

Reaction score
It's not necessary and some on here will even tell you not to do it. I have done with no troubles. The only thing you should do at a minimum is rehydrate it. No problems with creating a starter though in my experience. In fact my friend who's been brewing for 13 years does it for every batch and has never once had a problem from it.

I rehydrate typically in boiled wort and aerate the sh*t out of my wort. My fermentations usually start within two to three hours of pitching.

:tank:

FlyGuy

Reaction score
It is generally not recommended for a few reasons:

- dry yeast manufacturers dry and package yeast at its optimum state, and making a starter can actually worsen the health of your yeast in many cases
- starters are often used to build up yeast cell count, but dry yeast cell counts are already very high, particularly if you rehydrate properly
- a packet of dry yeast is often cheaper than the malt extract used to make a starter, so if you need a lot of yeast, just pitch multiple packs of dry yeast

Having said all this, your beer isn't ruined or anything. There just aren't compelling reasons to make a starter with dry yeast.