dry yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moterhead63

Reaction score
Hi ive been brewing for a year and have made some good brews but I was wondering if anyone has dry yeast starters and what the amount of DME and water, etc thnks in advance, I tend to get obsessed with things and I have an idea for a belgain Dave:tank: :tank:

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I don't think using a starter with dry yeast is a good idea. I believe you are supposed to re-hydrate them.

~ Sully

I had an idea for a lambic and im wanting to try ,laugh,,,,,,,sourdough yeast ? any ideas.

Dry yeast are designed not to need starters. It is actually better if they don't. However, properly rehydrating them is important, follow the instructions on the pack.

yes Ive been really happy with the dry and white labs and I always follow the instructions,,,,,,,, but I had this idea for a sour cherry brown belgain lambic? useing sourdough yeast . as they did a very long time ago, so anyway I made a starer useing 1/2 a cup amber dme and boiled in some hops and its in a sanitized jar and i guess ill see if it works and then decide if im going to use it ....every beer ive made so far ive came up with or changed some ingredents and all but the first have been really happy thanks for the imput, Dave

Dry yeasts aren't designed to need starters, but I'm not sure making one would be a problem. No harm in having even more healthy yeast cells at pitching time. Right? I'm only speculating on this though, I really don't know.

joshpooh said:
Dry yeasts aren't designed to need starters, but I'm not sure making one would be a problem. No harm in having even more healthy yeast cells at pitching time. Right? I'm only speculating on this though, I really don't know.

There are already enough yeast. The cells are 'frozen' in a biochemical state that has them ready to start fermenting (max glycogen reserves, etc.) if you let them ferment out in a starter you will allow the yeast to tap the reserves and start to go dormant.

No starter with dry yeast.

I've hydrated and made starters with dry yeast. If I'm brewing a normal beer, 1.045 ~ 1.060, I just boil water, add yeast nutrient, and hydrate the yeast 1 hour before I pitch (boil down 550 ml to 400 ml, cool, and spin while I'm chilling my wort - add yeast nutrient before boiling).

If you're doing a high gravity, over 1.060, you may want to do a starter. I'd do about 4-5 hours before anticipating pitching.

I'd make the starter wort in the 1.020 - 1.035 gravity range.

Rather than a starter for dry, it's easier to pitch multiple packets if you think you require more yeast.

If you are set on making a starter with your dry yeast, most of the info online about starters and dry suggests allowing it to fully ferment out and floc, decant then pitch (specifically for the reasons mentioned by beerrific)

brewt00l said:
Rather than a starter for dry, it's easier to pitch multiple packets if you think you require more yeast.

I agree, why go through the trouble of a starter when another packet of dry yeast will run you about a buck-fifty. I think it is important to "proof" the yeast with some warm water to demonstrate its viability, but I know many who simply sprinkle the dried yeast over the finished wort with no problems.

Aeration isn't necessary with dry yeast. I agree with others and say to pitch 2 packets of the dry stuff. Its easier than making starters and about the same price as one vial of liquid. Cheers!

Soulive21 said:
Aeration isn't necessary with dry yeast. I agree with others and say to pitch 2 packets of the dry stuff. Its easier than making starters and about the same price as one vial of liquid. Cheers!

Aeration is necessary with ANY yeast. The more the wort is aerated, the better the yeast will do.

moterhead63 said:
Hi ive been brewing for a year and have made some good brews but I was wondering if anyone has dry yeast starters and what the amount of DME and water, etc thnks in advance, I tend to get obsessed with things and I have an idea for a belgain Dave:tank: :tank:

To make a starter for dry yeast just do a 5 gallon brew and rehydrate a pack of yeast and pitch after 15 to 20 minutes.
Dry yeast as already explained has enough yeast contained in a 11g pack to ferment most brews. If you need more yeast ,use 2 packs.
Using a starter with dry yeast actually hurts the yeast unless you make a HUGE starter like the one I suggested above.

Back