Dry Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obrion

Reaction score
So i got all excited to test out my stir plate. And i went ahead and created a starter from some US Safale-05. The starter took off fast on Wednesday and i think it's done (lots of bottom yeast). But... i then learned making starters from dry yeast isn't a good idea due to the nutrients already included in the packing. So my question is, should i just pitch it with my first all grain batch of american pale ale tomorrow? Or should i buy a new package of yeast from my local store?

My starter yeast was 1/2 quart water 1/2 cup of LDME.

Thanks, :tank:

I think you'll be fine. Someone will probably chime in on how you've actually done more harm than good to those dry buggers, but if you pitch that, you'll be fine.

It's kind of a trade-off with dry-yeast. On the one hand, making a starter depletes the nutrients that are stored in and around the dried cells as they come to you. On the other hand, the starter activates the dormant cells and will give you a more vigorous fermentation.

If this was your first starter, then trying it with dry yeast was probably a good move: you really can't damage those little suckers, especially US-05 which I've always found to be particularly hardy. So they're a good testbed for a new procedure. In the future you can save the dry yeast for days when you're too lazy to make a starter, and get the most out of your effort by using starters on liquid yeasts.

Latest posts

Back