Dry Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munsoned

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my first batch this weekend, a California Common kit that comes with all the extract, hops, yeast etc.

The kit comes with a package of DRY yeast (a california lager yeast I believe). I have a home-made stir plate that I was planning to use to make up a starter with some light DME I bought, but now I'm not sure if it is possible/advisable to do a yeast starter with a dry yeast pack (and a lager at that). If it is, what would the process be?

Everything I've read on yeast starters seems to assume or imply that you start with a liquid yeast vial or smackpack. Could I just do the same thing as one would do with a liquid yeast after re-hydrating? Finally, any thoughts on how long before time I should start the starter before pitching, since I'm using a California lager variety (again, assuming doing a starter is possible/advisable in the first place)?

don't mess with a starter with dry yeast, I've never heard of any one doing it, just re hydrating. I have heard of people just pitching 2 packets though.

p.s. I could be wrong, Im still new at this.

Dry yeast are prepared ready to go. No need for a starter.

Have fun with your first batch. Be warned - there'll be no turning back. You'll probably be thinking about your second brew before this one even hits the fermentor.

Thanks all for the insights. I'll just re-hydrate and let 'em rip!

Dry yeast are prepared ready to go. No need for a starter.

Have fun with your first batch. Be warned - there'll be no turning back. You'll probably be thinking about your second brew before this one even hits the fermentor.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that last insight. See my signature. I have about 6 batches planned at this point, the next three are with extracts but from recipes (not kits), and the three I have planned out after that already assume that I'll start moving on to grains (either partial mash or whole--of course I can adjust them back to extract recipes if need be though). Building half of my equipment already gave me the bug! :)

... See my signature...

No I have signatures turned off :eek: . This old addled brain can only process so much information. However, I don't need to see it, nor be particularly insightful to know how this sickness spreads.

To quote Dogfish Head Breweries "The sickness is the cure" :mug:

I have heard of people doing starters with dry lager yeast (including myself, although that batch went terrible for other reasons). I think it's not a terrible idea but not nearly significant enough to deal with on your first or fifth batch.

I've been brewing with dry yeast for years, only using liquid for special purposes. I never make starters, nor do I hydrate before using. I am careful to wait to pitch until my wort temperature is below 80F and have always had good results.

Back