Dry yeast rehydrated (6 hours)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adagiogray

Reaction score
A buddy got a batch of stout wort brewed up. We rehydrated the dry yeast from his kit for 15ish minutes, then added a small bit of diluted liquid malt extract to test it. The response wasn't great, but we were called away before the wort had cooled enough for us to pitch the yeast in.

We came home 6 hours later and the yeast jar looked pretty inactive. We went ahead and pitched it in. Would you suggest picking up more dry yeast in the am and adding it? Or should we just 'wait and see' with this yeast?

Im no expert but have used dry yeast a bunch of times. I would say give it a few days and wait for the bubbles to start going. It might take a little longer but be patient and if all else fails pitch some more yeast. Once again im no expert

Happy brewing and welcome to your financial burdon lol

A buddy got a batch of stout wort brewed up. We rehydrated the dry yeast from his kit for 15ish minutes, then added a small bit of diluted liquid malt extract to test it. The response wasn't great, but we were called away before the wort had cooled enough for us to pitch the yeast in.

We came home 6 hours later and the yeast jar looked pretty inactive. We went ahead and pitched it in. Would you suggest picking up more dry yeast in the am and adding it? Or should we just 'wait and see' with this yeast?

Your yeast should be fine. When you added the extract to the hydrated yeast you just made a yeast starter, it just didnt have enough time to do much but was still probably better than comming right out of the pkg. The worst part is having your wart set without the yeast in it. The kits I have made instructs to get the yeast in as soon as possable even if the temp is not perfect because the wart is vunerable to other bacteria and the yeast helps to protect it. It will probably be OK

Ironically, while my Chimay clone that had a liquid yeast is slowly bubbling along, this bad boy had/has an almost constant furious bubble beginning early the next am, no lag at all! I think we're safe. ;) Thanks for the reply!

I don't know which brand dry yeast you used, but I believe most manufacturers discourage against what you did (proofing). Before the yeast is dehydrated, it is enriched with extra nutrients that it will need when introduced to the wort. If you proof it, the yeast will begin to deplete these nutrients and could lead to fermentation funkiness. That being said, I think you should be fine, it may just need a little longer to get going. I've always had great success using dry yeast and simply rehydrating it before pitching.

It was an off brand prepackaged with something from Brewmasters, I believe. I know there are some manufacturers that recommend *not* proofing(I was reading another thread on that), but this particular one wasn't one of those listed.

Here's the odd thing though - although the stout wort was a fast starter, it puttered out in only 2-3 days! What was a furious,almost constant bubble is well over a minute between bubbles now. Do you think there's a problem? It's in a 68 degree basement. I figured it would be going along at least for a weekish. My other wort, a Chimay clone, started 2 weekends ago, is still bubbling along, albeit also slowly (currently around 30 secs between bubblage).

I know the proof is in the hydrometer, I just figured I'd go at least a week between readings. I might crack the lids and do that tonight.

I know I discussed this in another thread,but here goes. I got a can of Cooper's OS lager to use in a recipe. The yeast was Julian dated at the 328th day of 09. I made a starter,thinkin the yeast had to be pretty dead. I made up 1 1/2C 150F water in a 2C Pyrex measuring cup,& added 1/4C SDME. Stirred it in,stuck a quick check thermometer in it,& covered with plastic wrap. It got down to about 75F,pitched the yeast sachet,stirred & recovered. I let it sit for the time it took me to do everything else to make the wort & fill the fermenter to 23L (6.072 gallons) in my Cooper's fermenter. So,3 hours & 35 mins later,I stirred the starter & pitched it at 7:35pm. By the time I got up & checked it at 7:10am,it was going vigorously,krausen up to the lid! It did this for 3-4 days before slowing down for the long haul. Do it,do it nooow!

Back