Dry yeast...Pitch it on top or mix it up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I getting ready to pitch dry yeast for the first time. Do I just leave it on top or mix it up with the wort. Thanks

It is well known that rehydrating dry yeast results in higher cell counts after pitching compared to dry sprinkling. From a practical standpoint, though, it doesn't seem to matter much (in terms of lag time, etc.) unless you have a high gravity wort.

For what its worth, I always rehydrate. Its super easy to do and its just become part of my brewday routine.

Here is the tech sheet for US-05; it gives rehydration instructions if you are interested.

For a first timer especially, pitching on top is one way to reduce the possibility of a screw up with all that nervous tension going on. Pitch on top. Then explore the other methods in later brews. :)

Ahoy hoy,
I use US-05 as well. I dump in 2 packs for my real high gravity IIPAs, then, sorta stir it in with the oxygenation wand as I'm aerating the wart. After the minute or so, its all good. Been very happy with this dry yeast. Sure saves on 9 dollar slap packs. i do still use them for off the wall yeast needs, but since most of my ales are American styles, American 05 yeast is the bomb most of the time. Hope that helps. Enjoy that batch!
I bid you all a great day.

Latest posts

Back