Dry yeast in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMann

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this, but will it hurt dry yeast to be in the freezer. I store all my hops in the freezer part of my kegerator, and all my liquid yeast in the fridge part, but limited to space in the fridge, cause of the four kegs. I don't think it will hurt it but j/w.....

--matt--

Don't put them in the freezer. It will burst the cell walls and cut down on your viability big-time.

Dry yeast packets take up almost no space...shove them in a crevasse somewhere! (that's what she said)

"The recommended storage temperature for dry yeast is usually below 50°F (10°C) and it is possible to store dry yeast in a freezer because the cell walls have hardened and will not rupture when exposed to the extreme cold."
--Thank you, that answered my question.

--matt--

Danstar (makers of Nottingham and Windsor) say it is ok to freeze dry yeast but caution that you should allow it to warm to room temperature in the packet before you rehydrate or pitch directly into wort.

Fermentis doesn't offer any specific guidance about freezing their yeast on their website, but I seem to recall "Do not freeze" written on the package (I can't check at the moment).

Personally, all my dry yeast stays in the fridge, not the freezer.

meh, just stick them in the fridge. it'll keep fine for a LONG time in there.

Me too. They'll be long gone before they expire.

BierMuncher keeps on pitching on an old yeast cake of Nottingham. I think he opened the packet the first time in 2006. :cross:

He's the only guy I know who can get his yeast cost to under $.08 cents a batch. :mug:

Me too. They'll be long gone before they expire.

BierMuncher keeps on pitching on an old yeast cake of Nottingham. I think he opened the packet the first time in 2006.

He's the only guy I know who can get his yeast cost to under $.08 cents a batch.

Yeah baby...got three apple juice jars of notty in the fridge right now...:ban::ban::ban:

Back