Dry yeast in an Imperial IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm75

Reaction score
My next batch is an Imperial IPA and I'm debating using Safale US05 dry yeast. I used this yeast a couple of batches ago on an APA and it came out great....very clean and good attenuation! I would throw in two packages to make sure it ferments out well. I could just use 1056 but thought I would get the boards' thoughts.

Thanks,
Chad

I recently mad an Imperial IPA with an OG of 1.076 using two packets of rehydrated US05 and it took off within a couple hours and did great. Depending on your OG I think you'll be fine, just pitch two packs.

I recently mad an Imperial IPA with an OG of 1.076 using two packets of rehydrated US05 and it took off within a couple hours and did great. Depending on your OG I think you'll be fine, just pitch two packs.

My OG is around 1.070. So based on your experience, I should be fine.

Maybe I'm getting lazy but just don't feel like making a starter this time around...:rolleyes:

For most American and English Styles I don't see a reason not to use dry yeast. I got a bad vile of WLP001 and my LHBS did very little to help remedy the situation so I've kinda sworn off liquid yeast unless I'm doing a Belgian or Wheat. As far as the IPA goes, two packs will do you just fine.

S-05 will absolutely work fine in an IIPA. In fact, S-05 is reported to be the same strain as 1056, just in an easier-to-use form. Pitch away!

If you have the capability to ferment on the cool side (60-65F), S-05 will produce a very clean flavor profile. Great choice. I always have some on hand in the fridge.

I keep trotting it out but two packets of US-05 re-hydrated took my 1.114 OG American Barleywine (999) down to 1.020 FG.

US-05 and S-04 are my goto yeasts.

My next batch is an Imperial IPA and I'm debating using Safale US05 dry yeast. I used this yeast a couple of batches ago on an APA and it came out great....very clean and good attenuation! I would throw in two packages to make sure it ferments out well. I could just use 1056 but thought I would get the boards' thoughts.

Thanks,
Chad

I did an IIPA- OG 1.080 with just One packet of US-05- and it got Way down to like- 1.014 (I think? I just remember it went lower than I had intended). I'm still drinking it. I admit- in hindsight- 2packs of yeast would have been better!
But US-05 is Totally my fav for IPA/IIPA. Damn good and darn cheap.

Back