Dry Yeast has one powerful fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
Just used Nottingham for a Pale ale (thanks Edwort). It took longer to start than the liquid yeast with starter but once it got going, it really got going. My airlock was filled with krausen/unfinished beer in 2 days.

I might start using dry yeast instead of liquid for everything but Belgian beers. The yeast is obviously important, but it seems like I might not be gaining much by using London Ale liquid vs. a dry yeast, etc.

whenever possible, I use us-05 and nottingham. generally, all my ipas, dipas, apas, and pale ales get one of these. awesome clean fermentation, no hassle, just open the package and pitch!

I brewed a cream ale with Nottingham last week. The next morning, my airlock was so full of foam, it was spraying out of the little holes in the top. When I tried to attach a blow off tube, I "painted" the ceiling with foam.

Powerful stuff.

Also, +1 on the US-05. I rehydrate and aerate the wort, so my fermentation almost starts before I can get the airlock in place.

It depends on the strain and fermentation temp, not necessarily whether it is dry or not. I used K-97 about a month ago and the yeast acted like it was on dope the whole time.

Back