Dry yeast for Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
Well my order has come and like a dope I forgot to order the WLP565.

Dry yeast I have on hand

1. Safbrew T-58
2. Safale 33
3. Saflager 34/70
4. Nottingham

I also have a jar of washed WLP004

Out of these I am leaning towards the T-58 as its profile is spicy with peppery taste. I know it wont be a true Saison but maybe something interesting.

thanks, that what I was thinking. I am getting the itch to brew and this weekend is perfect wife is away.So I may just throw some type of ale together with the grain and hops I have and leave the Saison for another time. I could order the 565 this weekend from AHS .

If you can get ahold of a Saison beer you can culture from the bottle, I sucessfully did that with a 12oz bottle of Saison Dupont, worked out great, if you're in a pinch.

well I tried to grow some yeast from a bottle ....

And it worked after 36 hours this is what I had. Left side Hennepin by Ommegang - right Saison Dupont.Sorry for the crappy pic was in a rush this morning.

saison.jpg

I personally liked the Hennepin over the Dupont. I will stepping up the starters tonight to have enough by Sundays brew. I was thinkinig of just pitching the two into the same container of new 1.040 wort.

I wasnt able to brew this weekend as my Son in Law was taken to the hospital on Sunday with a severe head ache to the point he was unresponsive.They have been doing tests on him since . My daughter and my 3 week old grandson are staying with us.

Since both are Belgian Saison beers I did end pitching them together in a larger starter.I let it do its thing and put it in the fridge this am .The Saison's taste was very simular between the two so I didnt see a problem....

I hope he's okay!

He is now on some meds and feeling better. There was no real diagnosis other than he did have lymes. Could just have been migraines

what did you end up doing with regard to the 2 yeast strains? Did you use them both?

I did end up mixing the 2 and it went off like a rocket

fresh wort added to starter @ 12 hours
starter7.JPG

Had active fermentation in 3 hours and this am I found the airlock about 5 feet from the BB. Good thing I had the forethought to put it in a Rubbermaid container . I don't think anything could take hold as the krausen was flowing over the neck.

blowoff1.JPG

I cleaned it with some sanitizer and stuck a blowoff on it.

I still cant get around that the ideal temps for fermentation is high 80's

I had very good efficiency I was around 80%. The second batch sparge still was in the .020 range and I collected just under 8 gallons. After boil with 5 3/4 gallons was 1.070-71. Right at the upper range for the recipe.

I used the Brix meter for the first time , why did I wait so long to get it. I did check my gravity with the hydro later ...Just a little paranoid that I may not have been accurate with calibration of the meter.But was right on the money

OG1_070_1.JPG

This is the clearest beer I have brewed . This is about 20 minutes after flameout

OG1_070.JPG

I tapped this beer end of Sept. Was a little bit too harsh on the pepper taste thought I added to much crushed pepper corn to the secondary with the orange zest.

I let it sit until last night and man is this beer good nice light mouthfeel just a hint of orange and pepper. Also has a slight cognac taste I suppose from the Grand Marnier I used to soak the oranges I used about 2 cups... I like Grand Marnier :D I was to busy drinking to take a picture but its Crystal clear with a light head . I have to dig out the recipe and post it.

Back