Dry Yeast Choice for Belgian Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek1985

Reaction score
I have made a choice to try and simplify my brew days. I have another child on the way and given the choice between simplifying for now instead of completely stopping brewing for a while, I have decided that i'll cease using liquid yeast for a while.

The only remotely "Belgian" dry styles seem to be the Abbaye and T58.

I am a fan of Dubbels and Dark Strongs and would like some feedback on adapting these yeasts to my darker Belgian recipes for a little while until the homefront settles back out.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

Mangrove jack and danstar belle saison are also good choices for dry belgians. T-58 is my least favorite from what I remember when I used dry yeasts. If you are really into belgians and want to make great authentic belgian style beers, I'd just use the liquid yeast. If you make a starter, you can use it way past its best by date. The variety and quality just simply cant be beat. Belgian beers are all about the yeast character so why short yourself? Though IME belle saison can make a pretty tasty saison. Easily my favorite of the bunch. But for a dubbel and BSDA, I don;t think any of them would make a great one

Mangrove jack and danstar belle saison are also good choices for dry belgians. T-58 is my least favorite from what I remember when I used dry yeasts. If you are really into belgians and want to make great authentic belgian style beers, I'd just use the liquid yeast. If you make a starter, you can use it way past its best by date. The variety and quality just simply cant be beat. Belgian beers are all about the yeast character so why short yourself? Though IME belle saison can make a pretty tasty saison. Easily my favorite of the bunch

It's a time thing. It may seem silly but with another baby on the way every second will count when it comes to keeping wifey on board with brewing.

So I am trying to eliminate making starters, reducing mash time and reducing boil time in an effort to get the brew days down below 2 hours from cradle to grave.

When you were using dry yeast, which yeasts, fermented at cooler temperatures, were capable of giving me a good approximation for my Dubbel, Tripel and Dark Strong?

I'm a WY3787 user historically.

I typically do 1 gal batches so I may just be able to get away with pitching a smack pack.

Id go with the fermentis abbaye if you want to make a dubbel. All the other dry belgians seems to be saison yeasts or at least much more suited for that style

Id go with the fermentis abbaye if you want to make a dubbel. All the other dry belgians seems to be saison yeasts or at least much more suited for that style

Thank you. Appreciate the advice. With the small batches I do (1 gal) I think I may be able to get away with a direct pitch of a whole smack pack but i'll give the Abbaye a shot too.

you could pitch 2. if thats too $$ then go with a vial/smack pack of your liquid yeast of choice without a starter, then in the following day or 2, toss in some t-58.
That should give you enough yeast count and give your liquid strain a head start.

edit: i saw you only do 1 gallon batches. yea a smack pack/vial is plenty for 1 gallon

oh yeah a single vial or smack pack will DEFINITELY be enough for a 1gal batch, even something as high OG as a dubbel

Back