Dry Yeast alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle244

Reaction score
I have not yet made the plunge to liquid yeast, still going with dry and been happy with it, maybe one day I will get the equipment and try liquid as there seems to be more variety. That being said, I want to make a Dragon Stout clone and the recipe calls for:

Wyeast 2112 - If you had to use a dry yeast what would you use and to obtain the 7.7% would you pitch 2 packages?

Your four mainstream options in dry are:

1) Fermentis US-05
2) Safale S-04
3) Nottingham
4) and Windsor (British Ale)

All of these are profiled to be acceptable to ferment a stout. If you're going for 7.7, I'd say yes pitch 2 packs, but if you post the recipe, I can run it through BeerSmith and tell exactly how many packs you need. :mug:

Extract

5 oz pale malt (6-row)
14 oz crystal malt
.75 lbs debittered black malt
1.75 lbs corn sugar
2 lbs Briess light dried malt extract
5.5lbs Briess light liquid malt extract
2 oz Sinamar
11 AAU Yakima Magnum Hops (.67 oz/19 g of 16% alpha acids)
Wyeast 2112

Taken from BYO 250 classic clone recipes

I'd go with S-04 on that unless you want it to finish sweeter in which case use Windsor.

OG above 1.060, I prefer to rehydrate and pitch two 11g packets.

Yeah, pitch with 2........

This sounds expensive in extract if you don't already have the ingredients on hand.....

Yeah, pitch with 2........

This sounds expensive in extract if you don't already have the ingredients on hand.....

I haven't gotten that far yet to price this out, honestly so far I have only done the already put together kits from a local place and one the online sites, I haven't done anything original or tried to put something together from a recipe. This one seemed simple enough and I remember drinking dragon stout YEARS ago and really enjoying it

I haven't gotten that far yet to price this out, honestly so far I have only done the already put together kits from a local place and one the online sites, I haven't done anything original or tried to put something together from a recipe. This one seemed simple enough and I remember drinking dragon stout YEARS ago and really enjoying it

Any time you have to make multiple purchases of specific malts in a can or bag, you could drop $10 for a bag buy only need $2 worth. So you might spend $70 to make a $15 beer...

If you like stout, you can go with one malt light, a little 500L roast with some flaked barley (dunk the last two like a tea bag before adding the malt extract, look up mini mash), add table sugar for increased alcohol and you have a good stout with minimal excess ingredients!

I'd cut the recipe in half, make 2.5 gallons and pitch one vial of the recommended yeast. When its done, give it a taste and if you like it, make the 5 gal batch and re-pitch the yeast. I'm coming to the conclusion that using a specific yeast can make or break a beer. I've used both liquid and dry yeasts and my better brews happen when I use the correct (usually liquid) yeast. I've used dry yeasts with success, but I just like the results I'm getting from liquid yeasts better.

Any time you have to make multiple purchases of specific malts in a can or bag, you could drop $10 for a bag buy only need $2 worth. So you might spend $70 to make a $15 beer...

If you like stout, you can go with one malt light, a little 500L roast with some flaked barley (dunk the last two like a tea bag before adding the malt extract, look up mini mash), add table sugar for increased alcohol and you have a good stout with minimal excess ingredients!

That makes sense, thanks!

I'd cut the recipe in half, make 2.5 gallons and pitch one vial of the recommended yeast. When its done, give it a taste and if you like it, make the 5 gal batch and re-pitch the yeast. I'm coming to the conclusion that using a specific yeast can make or break a beer. I've used both liquid and dry yeasts and my better brews happen when I use the correct (usually liquid) yeast. I've used dry yeasts with success, but I just like the results I'm getting from liquid yeasts better.

Might try that, as far a liquid yeast goes, I haven't put in the time to learn the correct way to use it, stir plates/etc, I am sure once I get to that phase my beers will improve

You don't need a stir plate to use liquid yeast. You can mix up a quart of extract wort add some yeast nutrient (or not) put it in a 1/2 gallon jug and add the yeast.
Give it a swirl every now and then or just let it sit there. Not as good as a flask/stir plate but the yeast will still grow. You can also make a small amount of beer, 1-3 gallons, and build up the yeast that way. Or just go for it and throw a vial into a 5 gallon batch. Its better to have a good healthy pitch though.

I'd cut the recipe in half, make 2.5 gallons and pitch one vial of the recommended yeast. When its done, give it a taste and if you like it, make the 5 gal batch and re-pitch the yeast.
That's what I would recommend, too. With a reasonably fresh vial or smack pack, I would not hesitate pitching it directly at the manufacturer's recommendation (e.g. https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrates.cfm ), assuming proper aeration. No starter required, just pitch a vial/smack pack straight into a 2.5 gallon wort.
I'm coming to the conclusion that using a specific yeast can make or break a beer. I've used both liquid and dry yeasts and my better brews happen when I use the correct (usually liquid) yeast. I've used dry yeasts with success, but I just like the results I'm getting from liquid yeasts better.
Especially when the recipe calls for the California Lager strain, which does not have a dry yeast equivalent.

Latest posts

Back