Dry yeast alcohol tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorwegianAle

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been looking to take my brewing to the NeXT Level - meaning; I want to make an Imperial stout, a Belgian Golden strong ale, and possibly some more really strong beers. I've been thinking I want to see if I can push it Beyond 10%ABV, but I'd really like to do so With dry yeast.

I've been looking everywhere for a chart of some kind, ranging dry yeast by alcohol tolerance Level, but I can't seem to find any helpful information. Can you guys give me some help here?

All I can find are technical data sheets from fermentis, danstar/lallemand, mangrove jack's, etc but i find that they can often be vague, some of them just saying "With relatively high alcohol tolerance". What does this mean?

Furthermore - which yeast strian would be appropriate for the beers i mentioned?

Looking forward to any thoughts on the subject!

I've always wondered why it seems so hard to find alcohol tolerance levels for beer yeasts. That information is always available for wine yeasts right on the satchel.

Not to say that dry yeast is inferior to liquid yeast, because it is not. But if you are trying to take your brewing to the next level then why not use liquid yeast as there are so many more strains available and they have the information you are looking for? You can even go to Wyeast's website and see which strain they recommend for a certain style. Here are some options for your RIS:
https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=166

I swear I had that information from somewhere. I was researching whether to use sa05, sa05 or nottingham in my first RIS and I swear I had that info.

Edit: It looks like I had attenuation numbers but not alcohol tolerances.

Not to say that dry yeast is inferior to liquid yeast, because it is not. But if you are trying to take your brewing to the next level then why not use liquid yeast as there are so many more strains available and they have the information you are looking for? You can even go to Wyeast's website and see which strain they recommend for a certain style. Here are some options for your RIS:
https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=166

I know. There are two small reasons for why i dont use liquid yeast so often, John and Theo, and they are both under the age of two, its impossible to plan for a brewday, and the LHBS is far away. I could always make a startet, but its more of a hazzle. I like dry yeast for its storage qualities and the ability to brew whenever there is a quiet evening to spare...:)

Latest posts

Back