Dry Yeast after Kettle Souring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I have brewed quite a few Kettle Sours, and have fermented the pre-soured wort with a handful of sacch yeast strains, but never with a dry strain pitched without rehydrating with water first. My question is... has anyone sprinkled a dry yeast into a sour wort and how did the fermentation go? I'm just wondering if the low pH presents any special challenges to dry (non-rehydrated) yeast as the yeast absorb water from the low pH wort. TIA.

Is this a kettle sour that you bring back to a boil again then cool and put in the fermenter?

I'd just direct pitch and not worry too much about it. At least you'll know if it fails that you should have done something else instead of imagining that what you did actually helped.

I've done one kettle sour, but that was back when I was still adding the dry yeast to the fermenter and shaking it to aerate and mix things up. It did well, but I think I had some oxidation for other reasons. The flavors were sort of muted. But as far a fermentation it did very well and had the expected FG.

I have never pitched dry yeast into sour wort like that. But I have repicthed onto the same yeast cake twice kettle soured beers. Go three beers off the same cake. One of those brews had repitched lacto on it.

I feel like you would have nothing to loose by rehydrating.

Before moving to the co-pitch method, when we did traditional kettle sours, I exclusively used US-05 in sour worts that were typically in the 3.2 pH range. It performed just fine without rehydration. For 6 gallons, I believe I was pitching 2 packs. If I were to do that today, I'd probably go 3. Regardless, US-05 handled it just fine.

I also did it with WY1007 (not a dry yeast, I know) and it worked beautifully as well.

If using dry yeast for kettle sours I highly recommend the dried Voss from Lallemand. Stuff is bulletproof I swear. I generally loathe Kviek but for fruit forward kettle sours it’s a no brainer.

Ferment it around 88. Done in 2 days and incredibly fruity.

Back