Dry vs. Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I want to start my second batch and I had a question on yeast. I will be doing another extract batch and I have a choice between the two, with the liquid yeast costing 8 dollars more. So what is the difference?? Any reason not to use the cheaper dry yeast?? Cheers.:mug:

Liquid yeast can give you more control over the flavor of your beer if you choose the right strain, but if you're just starting out I'd stick with dry to keep things simple. I'm still using dry yeast myself, once I get my whole technique perfected and want to branch out a bit I'm sure I'll start trying the liquid.

YMMV.

Liquid is good for specific styles such as a Hefeweizen or a Lambic where the yeast strain contributes a specific flavor profile to the beer. For most ales I have found a clean feremting dry yeast preferable, in large due to the price.

Liquid yeast has more variety of strains. Is more expensive

Dry yeast is easier to store and use. It is cheaper.

Both can make good beer.

Liquid yeast has the benefit of having more variety to choose from so a brewer can select the yeast most appropriate for the style of his or her brew and also allows for more customization of the final product.

Dry yeast offers an economical alternative as well as providing more viable yeast per package versus liquid. The trade off is that there aren't very many strains to choose from.

is there a difference between "liquid yeast" and "pitched yeast?"

Dry and liquid yeasts are both great! Depends on the style you are making which would be best for your application. I use both, depends on what I am making!

One word: Variety.

Especially useful for belgian beers (typically the yeast flavor is very present in the finished product) and for cloning beers (lists on the Internet cite why yeast comes from which brewery).

You can certainly make good beer with the variety of dry yeasts available. If you're concerned with hitting a particular style spot-on, you'll just about need to go with a liquid yeast.

I made an irish red once with nottingham, and once with white labs irish ale yeast. The difference in the flavor was definately noticeable.

Like the last few guys said, what're you trying to brew?

D

is there a difference between "liquid yeast" and "pitched yeast?"

"Pitched" just means that it has been added to the wort...liquid or dry. Pitching is the act of adding the yeast regardless of the form.

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong about that...:)

-Tripod

"Pitched" just means that it has been added to the wort...liquid or dry. Pitching is the act of adding the yeast regardless of the form.

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong about that...:)

-Tripod

No expert, but I will chime in anyway. You are exactly right.
By the way, "Tripod".... interesting name. I think I saw you in a skin-flick once.

Which types of beer do better with liquid yeast and which types do better with dry yeast?

Which types of beer do better with liquid yeast and which types do better with dry yeast?

Welcome to the board!

Depending on what you mean by "do better"... as far as fermentation and attenuation, they're both pretty equal as long as a proper starter is made with liquid. As a generality, Belgians and Lagers are probably a bit more well-served by liquid yeast. But lagers are becoming better and better with dry yeasts with the advent of Fermentis Saflager W-34/70, which is supposed to be the same as White Labs WLP-830 and Wyeast 2124.

As for standard American and British ales, you can do pretty darn good with the appropriate dry strains out there, like S-05, S-04, Nottingham, etc. However, some of the related liquid strains can get a specific flavor profile in those beers that dry yeast can't... but it's fairly subtle.

Of course, specialty beers (various Belgians, etc.) will be more "to style" with liquid yeasts and a few beer styles are only do-able with liquid strains.

I use mostly liquid yeast, but after recently burning my hand on a starter boil-over, I'm getting tired of making starters and thinking about going dry for a while!

By the way, "Tripod".... interesting name. I think I saw you in a skin-flick once.

Good one! :D "Tripod" does have a double meaning but I can't tell you any more unless you are:

1] Female
2] Single
3] Hot..

Cheers! :mug:

-Tripod

Read my profile reeeeeeally carefully if you wanna know where the name comes from. It's not as dirty as you're hoping it will be. :D

-Tripod

Read my profile reeeeeeally carefully if you wanna know where the name comes from. It's not as dirty as you're hoping it will be. :D

-Tripod

threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg

New to the board, hello all. I have been using liquid yeasts for the past few years and loving the results. Tho I had been brewing mostly ales. Last week i brewed a Dunkel and a Bock and used Safale S-23 dry yeast. The first time using dry since my first brews.

Hoping everything turns out TASTY!

New to the board, hello all. I have been using liquid yeasts for the past few years and loving the results. Tho I had been brewing mostly ales. Last week i brewed a Dunkel and a Bock and used Safale S-23 dry yeast. The first time using dry since my first brews.

Hoping everything turns out TASTY!

Welcome to the board! Be sure to keep us posted on the outcome of those, I've been thinking of using that yeast myself.

Welcome to the board! Be sure to keep us posted on the outcome of those, I've been thinking of using that yeast myself.

i just sampled the dunkel last night.....SUCCESS! i was a bit worried as my "lagering cave" is a bathroom with the window open and during the secondary there were a few 60+ degree days. tho i did have them in a tub of water and added ice on those days. so, no butteryness to the flavor. i'm real happy!

i'll try the bock next week....

!!

Back