Dry vs Liquid Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I'm very new to brewing, in fact I havn't even bottled my first batch yet. I wen't to the LHBS today to get some bottles for bottling, and ended up talking about different methods for brewing. He said that the easiest way to improve the taste of your beer is to use liquid yeast.

I know different types of yeast can drastically change the taste of your beer, but will liquid yeast actually change the outcome that much?

I'm very new to brewing also(just bottled my first batch a couple days ago). The main argument seems to be that with liquid yeast you have many more options on strains, so you can more tailor the yeast to the style of beer you are making or your personal preferences. I have also read that dry yeasts do work just fine, as long as they go with the style you are making.

I hope I am not to far off, if I am, I am sure someone will correct me.

Wup

I don't think liquid yeast will make your beer taste better. However, there are many more strains of liquid yeast than there are dry, so if you're going for a style that is better served by one of the liquid strains that are not available in dry form, then perhaps the proprietor has a point.

But if you're using, for instance, Wyeast 1056, then I would say just go with a packet or two of S-56 for $2-3 instead of $6-7 for the liquid.

Short answer, YES, yeast makes a big difference. Have to agree with the Baron, there are styles that can't be done with dry yeasts just because the yeast strain required can't be dried, Belgian & Kolsch are two. On the other hand, if you like darker ales, a nice clean fermenting dried yeast is all you need. Last year, I did two batches of Porter. Used Nottingham in one and WL Cal V. No real difference, the malt and caramel really dominated.

I use dry nottinghams for all of my stout beers. Its cheap, I have tons of it laying around, and it tastes fantastic.

For more "specialty" beers like my belgium wit and dunkelwiezen I bought WL liquid yeast. These beers have very specific characteristics that can't be obtained with plain old dry ale yeast. With my stouts you are really overpowered with the grains, hops, and coffee (in the coffee stout)... I think with my other two beers the special yeast strains really add character to the beer.

If you could try this belgian wit too... wow...its worth it :)

I agree with the other posts. If you're going for something like a Belgian wit or a lager, find some good liquid yeast and make a starter. For an ale, dry yeast is the way to go. It's cheap, no worries about making a good starter, and you have a great pitching rate. Pick the yeast that fits your beer style.

Another thing I've noticed about dry yeast is they tend to have better floculation properties, especially noticeable if you're bottling. Dry ale yeasts tend to fall bright fairly quickly and the yeast hugs the bottom of the bottle, meaning you get more from the bottle. This is not a universal truth or anything, just what i've noticed.

Back