Dry taste during fermentation of Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuelohBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am currently brewing this Hazy IPA recipe here.

I am 9 days into my fermentation, my OG was a little low at 1.055 (should have been 1.062) but my current gravity is at FG stage -1.012.

it’s still bubbling a little so I’m going to leave it until that stops. But upon trying it, the taste of the beer is really dry.

I’m using a different yeast (Vermont Ale from Escarpment Lbs). But otherwise it’s all the same as the recipe. I pitched at the right temp. I’ve held it at the right temps (I’ve got an inkbird). So on paper I should be ok

does anyone have any thoughts to what could be?

Thanks in advance!

If the mash was 154°F as indicated in your recipe, I'd expect considerable malty character, not dry. Perhaps the mash spent some time at lower temp?

I know. That’s what I was thinking. I don’t think it went low at any point. I was worried maybe it was too high at the start.

If the mash was 154°F as indicated in your recipe, I'd expect considerable malty character, not dry. Perhaps the mash spent some time at lower temp?
I know. That’s what I was thinking. I don’t think it went low at any point. I was worried maybe it was too high at the start.

77% attenuation would be smack in the middle of that strain's 73-83% advertised range, and 1.012 FG is reasonable given the OG - and usually would not pose a particularly "dry" finish...

Also, keep in mind that the beer is still very young at this point and there has NEIPA's i've brewed that really shine after 2-3 weeks of cold conditioning and carbonation. I would dry hop, keg and see how it is after kegging.

it’s still bubbling a little so I’m going to leave it until that stops.
Bubbling can continue for a long time. Instead of waiting for it to stop, us your hydrometer to determine when the fermentation is over, the give the beer a few more days for trub to settle out. I've bottled a pale ale at day 10 with good results.

Also, keep in mind that the beer is still very young at this point and there has NEIPA's i've brewed that really shine after 2-3 weeks of cold conditioning and carbonation. I would dry hop, keg and see how it is after kegging.

^. This. The “dryness” might actually be a little hop burn masking the maltiness. That very well could go away as it conditions. Did for me on my NEIPA. My last three beers I used flaked grain (wheat oat and/or barley) and my numbers were off. Two of the three finished up very well. I expect the third to follow suits as it’s been just a week since I brewed it. I don’t know why but I’m not worrying about numbers as much anymore.

Hey guys,
I am currently brewing this Hazy IPA recipe here.

I am 9 days into my fermentation, my OG was a little low at 1.055 (should have been 1.062) but my current gravity is at FG stage -1.012.

it’s still bubbling a little so I’m going to leave it until that stops. But upon trying it, the taste of the beer is really dry.

I’m using a different yeast (Vermont Ale from Escarpment Lbs). But otherwise it’s all the same as the recipe. I pitched at the right temp. I’ve held it at the right temps (I’ve got an inkbird). So on paper I should be ok

does anyone have any thoughts to what could be?

Thanks in advance!
I’m curious. When one say dry what does that kind come through like?
Asking because I think I did the same with a bad thermometer. My beer isn’t bad but the finish seems “dry”. To be thats not sweetness and a tiny bit of hop burn.

Latest posts

Back