dry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baystatebrew

Reaction score
thanks to revvy and some other experts my first batch is turning out great so far. i bottled yesterday after 2 weeks fermenting (though my kit directions said 1 week, i took the advice in here and left it in another week).

tasted better and better as i've sampled throughout the fermentation process. now it's conditioning in the bottles. all i'm hoping for is a good, decent, basic wheat beer for my first batch.

i'm thinking about my next batch for tomorrow and i'm planning on a basic dry stout. so, i got the munton's dry yeast and 6lbs of dark malt extract yesterday at the lhbs.

i am thinking of getting 8 oz of crushed pale malt and 4 oz of roasted barley for steeping with the malt extract. i'm also thinking i'll get about 2.5 oz of goldings for the recipe (pellets, 4.75%, as well as some irish moss and gypsum.

i'd like some input from the pros on my recipe. i know everyone has an opinion but please remember i'm a newbie and i just want to learn the mechanics of basic brewing, so please refrain from confusing and advanced techniques and advice if possible. i trust the answers i get in here so if you all can keep that in mind, i really don't know what i'm doing yet, i'd appreciate it.

i might get this nottingham dry yeast i've heard is good for stouts, but i'll probly stick with the munton's since i have it.

thanks guys this forum rocks.

thanks blue...kinda disappointed i'm not getting any guidance here...maybe time to find a new forum? hope not...

Well, I'm no pro and I don't want to disappoint you, but every dry stout recipe I've ever seen used pale malt, roasted barley, and flaked barley. The problem is the flaked barley which has to be mashed, and unless you can get some diastatic malt extract, you would either have to do a partial mash or all grain.

-a.

Flaked barley doesn't need to be mashed, but the pale malt does. Steeping won't do you much good; you're better off picking up some pale extract to replace it and just steep the roasted and flaked barley.

Ha! What you ain't figured out yet is that this is like the spoon in Matrix. There are no other forums. They are all illusions.

Stouts and Porters have become my favorites to brew. My first was an Irish Stout kit from the Home Brewery. About $35. It's billed as a dry stout, but really, I couldn't tell, it being my first and all. It was great, that's for sure.

I'm in secondary with my first a-la-cart Stout. SKS Beer, I'm calling it. My last sample did have a slight dryness to it. Quite shocking to me, really. Hadn't expected that.

Not to say I'm a recipe master, I ain't, but maybe you'd be interested in it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/porter-stout-what-else-must-hit-7-a-94340/

You won't need Irish Moss or gypsum for a stout. These things help clarify a beer and may prevent "chill haze" (which is purely asthetic). Go ahead and brew your dry stout or...you could always check the recipe section on HBT to see how other Stout's compare as far as ingredients go. Good luck!

Flaked barley doesn't need to be mashed, but the pale malt does. Steeping won't do you much good; you're better off picking up some pale extract to replace it and just steep the roasted and flaked barley.
With all due respect, flaked barley does need to be mashed. See How to Brew - By John Palmer - Other Grains and Adjuncts
You can't mash it by itself, but it must be mashed with something that provides the enzymes - usually pale malt.

-a.

The flaked barley needs to be mashed only if you want to get sugars out of it. With this recipe since he has lots of extract he really only needs the flaked barley for the mouthfeel and for the grainy flavour. Steeping it is sufficient for that. The roasted barley I would use at least 0.75lbs and I would go with the lightest coloured extract you can find (the dark stuff will work fine but they tend to use random dark grains to colour it so you never know what you're getting). You will get all the flavour and colour you need from the roasted barley.

And Nottingham yeast for sure. ;) The Muntons stuff isn't bad provided you're not using the kit&kilo yeast, those are terrible. Nottingham will rock that stout for all it's worth and dry it out far more than the Muntons will.

Back