dry stout ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbigger

Reaction score
I have a dry stout that has been in primary for about 2 weeks. Should I move it into secondary to free up my fermentor or should I leave it another week and bottle it from there? The airlock has shown no activity for at least 4 days and I am thinking it is about done fermenting.

Thanks, Nick

What does your hydrometer say? Is it at or near your target FG? If it is and it hasn't gotten any lower after a few days in a row then you're good to move it. That's the only way to know for sure. Even if it is done fermenting it certainly won't hurt it to leave it there for a little longer unless you really needed that fermenter for another batch ASAP.

I have not checked yet I think I will check today and see what it is at. If it is at FG would I be ok to bottle it or do stouts need to be put in secondary?

If you're at target FG and it's done fermenting you would be safe to bottle. Since a stout is going to be opaque or nearly opaque anyway there's little reason to move to secondary to try and clear the beer since you won't see or likely care about the clarity anyway. The only other reason to secondary would be if you planned on bulk aging for a few months or something (which really isn't needed for a dry stout), but if you're just looking to go to bottles in the near future anyway the extra step isn't necessary.

A couple weeks in secondary to bulk age certainly couldn't hurt. Sure, if it's done fermenting you could bottle, but it will taste better if given the proper aging time. Despite the populist uprising against secondary fermentation (no real fermentation happening in secondary BTW), I still like to rack to secondary to clear and condition. That's just me.

Since you need your fermenter, go ahead and rack it. Even though a stout is dark, it still benefits from letting the trub and yeast clear.

All three of my pails are the same, so I don't bother.

Back