Dry Stout Brew Day with my new Megapot 1.2 and some experiments in aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all!

I had to share some photos of this past Monday's Brew Day with my new NB Megapot 1.2. I also tried some ideas I've been wanted to experiment with to aerate the wort.

1. The kettle with my ingredients for Ceilidh Irish Stout.

2. The set-up for sending the wort through my homemade CFC.

3. The venturi tube I rigged up with some tubing and a 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" barb tee fitting. It worked quite well to aerate the wort as it flowed out of the CFC.

4. Using a wine degasser to pump even more air into the wort in the carboy.

5. The carboy ready to go into a dark, quiet closet for a week before racking to the secondary(maybe; still debating whether I need to do secondary fermentation with this beer).

It's been one day and already I can tell that aeration paid off. The usual fermentation lag phase was greatly reduced and I've seen lots of activity today! More later once everything is complete!

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

Looks good.

How do you feel about the volume markers inside? Do they feel like they would scrub off during heavy cleaning? Or do they seem to be engraved into the metal well?

Looks good.

How do you feel about the volume markers inside? Do they feel like they would scrub off during heavy cleaning? Or do they seem to be engraved into the metal well?

I have seen one negative review about the volume markers being on the inside of the pot. The markings don't seem laser etched so the potential is there for them to fade over time, and with use. For me, the markings were just one reason why I bought this particular pot. That said, the markings are really handy to have so I don't have to use a gallon measure to fill the pot. If they do fade, I am handy enough to add a sight glass (when I have more $$$, that is).

I've only used the pot this once, and have another brew day tomorrow (woot!), so no issues yet. Looking to the future, with or without markings, I am glad I made this purchase, no question!

BTW the dry stout (above) turned out delicious and crisp, with a decent head on it, though the head retention isn't what I'd hoped for. Still very drinkable! I'm planning to share it at my next homebrewers' club meeting.

Back