"Dry Spicing" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgardner2

Reaction score
So I have my first batch of cider fermenting right now. It has been fermenting for about 17 days and is slowing down. I plan on going another two weeks or so but I have a question about my secondary.

I have some Martinelli Mulling Spice bags that I want to add to the secondary. I actually steeped a few of them and added it to the primary (not the bags, just the steeped "juice"). I don't smell much of that aroma and would like more. The spice bags come in an ordinary paper package like any tea bag, I'm sure not hermetically sealed, but stamped shut.

This is my question: Do you think it is safe to rack directly on top of these spice bags, like dry hopping, or should I just steep more of them and add the "juice"? My biggest concern is obviously sanitation. I appreciate any help in advance!

Soak the bags in a bit of vodka for a few days. The vodka will kill any bugs and it'll give your cider a little boost. Add both the spices and vodka.

Soak the bags in a bit of vodka for a few days. The vodka will kill any bugs and it'll give your cider a little boost. Add both the spices and vodka.

Do you think I should soak the spice bags in alcohol, then add just the spiced alcohol or the spiced alcohol and bags?

You should be right to rack on top of them. Heck, if you're really worried about it, boil it for a few minutes in a small amount of water and add it all.

Duh, should have thought of that myself. I think I will cut the string off the bags, boil the bags in a little water, and rack on top of all of it.

Thanks!

Back