Dry rice lager clone experiment gone bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earachemyeye69

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I started toying with the idea of adding distillers glucoamylase to the mash and at pitch to lower the FG and wow mom wow did it ever.

The problem now is I’m left with a tasteless hoppy seltzer like brew that I’ll likely need to back sweeten and flavor. Turn it into a hoppy hard limeade or something.
I think it’s that I used a full 6grams at mash and then pitched another 6grams thus making the sugars 100% fermentable.

Anyone have experience using glucoamylase and how much to use in a 5gal batch? I’ll probably try again but with 3 grams total and only in the mash.

Attachments

• 329A322E-D50E-4BAC-A6D4-B53AB97CA9CA.png
    329A322E-D50E-4BAC-A6D4-B53AB97CA9CA.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 0
lol, i think your problem is rice....to get a nice gluco dry beer, you need more robust malts. with rice i've had decent luck with dry hoping though...at least to my taste.

edit: honestly, if you do it again, try tossing a portion of the rice in the oven and just toast it till you like the smell? :mug:

lol, i think your problem is rice....to get a nice gluco dry beer, you need more robust malts. with rice i've had decent luck with dry hoping though...at least to my taste.
It’s got more than rice ;)
Should I try a Vienna or something instead of pils?

Attachments

• 242E021A-9ACE-4B13-9FEB-15BC9364B835.png
    242E021A-9ACE-4B13-9FEB-15BC9364B835.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 0
It’s got more than rice ;)
Should I try a Vienna or something instead of pils?

when i do my brüts i use 100% homemade munich....i don't know what you're shooting for low calorie or low flavor? if you want a light beer for calorie reasons then think more like nitro pour guiness...but light guiness....if you want low flavor & low calorie, i don't know...looking at your recipie i'd say throw the flaked rice in your oven at 325f, just until it starts to brown. maybe toss a few pounds of munich malt in place of some of the pils?

honestly now i'm thinking about it, maybe just toasting the rice until it's 'just right' for your taste would do it?

hope that give you some helpful ideas as food for thought... :mug:

Why not leave the enzymes out and mash overnite at 154* . Mine start at 154* and in 6 hrs are down to 141* with SG's of 1.048-1.050 and FG's of 1.002-1.004. Dry but with flavor.

I also make a Bud clone with 33% rice (basmati) with a cereal mash. Main mash in at 143* 30-60 min add cereal mash and step to 160* or so for 30 min. SG 1.044-1.048, FG 1.004-1.008. Still pretty dry and lots better then Bud,and super crushable.

On my latest cold IPA (26% rice/74% pils), it didn't finish nearly as low as the lead-in one gallon test batches (which were amazing) did under normal fermentation circumstances (65F, FG 1.006). It was a double mash batch split into two: S-23 used for one portion and S-189 the other. Both the forced ferment test and batches bottomed around 1.014 so, worrying that was too high and since I didn't get a chance for the second round of dry hopping, I hit everything with glucoamylase. Few days later the S-23 finished at 1.001 and the S-189 at 0.997.

This is for a club brew-off at a local brewery so I hope I didn't completely jack this up. I do plan on carbonating and serving higher than usual (1.6-1.7 vols), and coupled with the unexpectedly higher ABV, I'm hoping it'll have more of a backbone than if it were lower ABV at a higher FG. I'll know in a couple weeks...

Latest posts

Back