Dry Nibbing My Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

TeflonTom

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Today I kegged my coconut porter, but I felt like it would be cool to add 8oz. of cocao nibs in a hop sock into the keg. Has anyone previously done this and if so what was your experience? I'm not really sure what I'm doing with them at this point but I thought I'd wing it and ask for some advice later haha! Cheers!

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
I have dry nibbed with cocao nibs in kegs several times. My experience was that they imparted a chocolate-y flavor to the beers. Do you have a more specific question? Or, what kind of advice are you looking for?

OP
OP
TeflonTom

TeflonTom

Reaction score
I have dry nibbed with cocao nibs in kegs several times. My experience was that they imparted a chocolate-y flavor to the beers. Do you have a more specific question? Or, what kind of advice are you looking for?
I'm not really sure if I added too much, but I don't think that will be much of a problem. However, I am wondering if I should ever take them out of the keg at a certain time, or can I just leave them in there until the keg is all drank?

VikeMan

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if I added too much, but I don't think that will be much of a problem. However, I am wondering if I should ever take them out of the keg at a certain time, or can I just leave them in there until the keg is all drank?

IMO, 8 oz is on the high end for 5 gallons, but not crazy. I've done everything from 4 to 8. In my experience, there's not much flavor left in the nibs after a week or so. But they are high in fat (not good for foam retention), so I don't leave them in the beer any longer than necessary. When I nib in a keg, I do a closed xfer to a serving keg.

OP
OP
TeflonTom

TeflonTom

Reaction score
IMO, 8 oz is on the high end for 5 gallons, but not crazy. I've done everything from 4 to 8. In my experience, there's not much flavor left in the nibs after a week or so. But they are high in fat (not good for foam retention), so I don't leave them in the beer any longer than necessary. When I nib in a keg, I do a closed xfer to a serving keg.
Okay, so would you say having 8oz. I should take it out in maybe 4 or 5 days? I really need to order another beer line that is separate from my keg chest so I can do closed transfers lol

VikeMan

Reaction score
Okay, so would you say having 8oz. I should take it out in maybe 4 or 5 days? I really need to order another beer line that is separate from my keg chest so I can do closed transfers lol

I would probably move the beer off the nibs @ ~ 5 days.