Dry Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
First why is it sooo expensive. Second what's the advantage.....other then exploding in your kitchen?!?!

DME is more concentrated than LME so you actually need less of it (so the costs end up evening out). It tends not to have the 'twang' that is associated with extract brews (or much less at any rate). It is also much easier to weigh and store.

Advantages: It keeps much better, it's more consistent in quality, it's easier to reconstitute, and easier to separate.

Why so expensive? As Bradsul mentioned, it's more concentrated. It's also the product of a more expensive process.

TL

I used to really like DME, but I find that its messy. I find LME much easier to work with and the brew tastes just as good... so why not. Its easier to add in to the brew pot, less chance of it clumping, and I find that it boils up less than DME. After shaking in 6lbs of DME into the brew pot a whole bunch is stuck to the side of the bag, sticky mess on your hands from the dust attaching to your steam covered skin... DME dust on the stove. If you are getting it from a place with flat shipping there's no problem with the extra shipping weight.

Personally, I prefer to use LME for the bulk of my fermentables, but sometimes you need just a little extra to hit your desired gravity. That's where DME comes in handy. You can measure it out in small quantities and store the unused portion in a ziplock bag.

As has been pointed out, DME takes more processing and is more concentrated so it costs more.

I have only used DME a few times but I think it does make a difference in your color - LME turns the beer darker than your target most of the time. I plan on using DME more until I go AG. That being said I have had good success and minimal mess by premixing the DME with water prior to adding it to the boil pot.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never brewed an LME beer without the twang, and I've never had the twang with DME. I gave LME a shot again recently and ended up with a substandard brew.

The cost of DME is definately a big turn-off, so I don't brew as often as I would like.

cclloyd said:
I have only used DME a few times but I think it does make a difference in your color - LME turns the beer darker than your target most of the time. I plan on using DME more until I go AG. That being said I have had good success and minimal mess by premixing the DME with water prior to adding it to the boil pot.

I use primarly extra pale LME which results in quite light brews. You can do late additions too...

Back