Dry Irish Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnsaltyham

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Homebrewers! I have been thinking about picking up a Dry Irish stout kit from my LHBS, similar to Guinness or Murphy's it says. My question is will those still be as tasty in the bottle? I know kegging and serving on nitro would be best but I'm bottling. Has anyone made one and bottled?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

http://beermaking.ca/extract.html#dry

this one's been quite good for me, but got a lot better once I put whiskey soaked oak and whiskey soaked oak/vanilla bean into it (half a batch with the bean). Just be careful to keep the carbonation low (I put 2.5 oz dextrose into a 5 gallon batch).

oddly though, the same bottle, poured at the same time into the same glass.

attachment.php

It's not a Guiness though.

While not traditional stout ingredients, the wheat malt encourages a lacy white head and the carapils provides body and creaminess. To really achieve the body, head and creaminess of a stout, you need Barley Flakes, which must be mashed and therefore cannot be used in a malt extract recipe. (sorry)

I made the MWS dry Irish stout kit. No, doesn't have the head of Guiness but mostly because it's not nitro tap with orifice disc. Taste wise I thought it was pretty good. Exactly Guiness? No, but still pretty darn good.

Hey, Indy area here, Brownsburg actually. You use Great Fermentations as youor LHBS?

Oh, hey there! Yes I go to Great Fermentations for everything. Really pleased with everything I have purchased from them. I also ask them a ton of questions and they are always really helpful! I go to the one on 65th street. Do you still use kits? If so, recommend any they make? I've tried the Amarillo face, phat tire, charisma cream ale and easy wheat.

I just brewed an Irish Stout yesterday. I knew it would be tough to make it close to a Guinness with straight extract. So I did a partial mash (my 3rd in a row) since I'm not near a point of all grain yet. I added flaked body, acidulated malt, and roasted barley. I just do a BIAB set up and mash in my 2 gallon pot. Super easy, just added time! Good luck with it!

EDIT: I understand this didn't really help you out too much, but was pointing it out in case you hadn't though about this option. DeathBrewer has an awesome thread that I use now.

I just brewed an Irish Stout yesterday. I knew it would be tough to make it close to a Guinness with straight extract. So I did a partial mash (my 3rd in a row) since I'm not near a point of all grain yet. I added flaked body, acidulated malt, and roasted barley. I just do a BIAB set up and mash in my 2 gallon pot. Super easy, just added time! Good luck with it!

EDIT: I understand this didn't really help you out too much, but was pointing it out in case you hadn't though about this option. DeathBrewer has an awesome thread that I use now.

Any and all comments are welcome! Its nice to hear how others do things! The kit I'm going to get has grains as well. In fact, all the kits I have done include grains you steep at 150-155 degrees for 30 mins and DME or LME, hop additions, etc. I haven't done an all extract kit.

What grains come with it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

5.0 lbs. Unhopped light dry malt extract
0.80 lb. Roasted Barley, crushed
0.20 lb. Acid malt, crushed
0.50 lb. Flaked Barley
0.9 oz. Brewers Gold hops, added at the beginning of 60 min boil
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (optional), added 20 min from the end of the boil

I just bottled the dry Irish stout extract kit from Northern Brewer yesterday. The sample I took before adding the priming sugar tasted awesome. Not exactly Guinness of course, but still pretty damn good. Would probably be even better I you had a keg system with nitro.

Back