dry irish stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnylocks

Reaction score
hey guys,

at my local brew shop i picked up the ingredients for a dry irish stout. looks very easy. only has few roasted grains and some dark lme. i know it will be asked so i will post the recipe later as i forgot it at my house. as a new brewer i want to document everything and keep all my recipes around so i got the beer smith program to help with that. when typing in the recipe it seems to be a nice dark beer and not too high in ABV. then i look at the 4 "gauges" at the bottom and 2 of the 4 graphs are heavily in the red. IBU'S being one of them. i was told by the owner it is a very good beer but if these graphs are so far off could this mean i need to add something to equal it all out. i will post a screen shot of it tonight when i get home.

you probably don't need to (shouldn't) add to much if its a kit. unless you know what you're doing. if its all put together already then that means its been tested and was good enough for the company to sell them. minor tweaks are probably ok, but not necessary. post up that recipe and someone can give you a more specific response. and maybe check and see if everything was typed in to the program right.

To piggyback on the previous poster, you don't need to do anything. Brewing software is set up to give you a good indicator of official BJCP style adherence - not as any barometer of taste. So while this recipe may be outside of style guidelines, it will likely taste great if it's being sold as a kit.

ok thanks for such a fast response guys! ill post that up tonight i was trying to remember it today but i forgot

If you want to see the IBU indicator move around with no ingredient change, vary the boil size. Lower gravity boil (larger boil) will yield higher IBU's

Back