Dry Irish Stout Extract Fermentation Stopped too high!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm brewed a dry Irish stout last Saturday. It was an extract version, with roasted barley, and I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast. I overshot the OG somehow and it came to be 1.056 instead of 1.048. I aerated the wort and fermentation began within 24 hours. It was about 70 degrees, and fermentation was vigorous for a good day and a half. Suddenly, all fermentation stopped (0 airlock activity) and the krausen fell very quickly. I took a SG reading on Wednesday and was at 1.016. My target FG is 1.008ish? It's a dry Irish stout so I was wanting it to finish a little drier than 1.016. I calculated the attenuation and it's 71%, which is at the low end for this strain. Should I rouse the yeast a bit and try to raise the temp? The temp in the ferm room is 64 degrees now. Or is this yet another case of RDWHAHB? Thanks!

First of all, I think you are jumping the gun. Let it sit another week, then take another reading. Five days is really too early - way too early - to worry about finishing high. Especially in light of point #2, which is, 1.016 is not really that high. It's actually a reasonable number to finish at. Who told you 1.008?

So yeah, RDWHAHB. Cheers!

Back