Dry, insipid and unexciting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosofool

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my beer. When I'm transfering to my keg it's hoppy an exciting. By the time I dispense, it's insipid and unexciting. I can't figure out what's going on, but my beers aren't like they used to be and I can't understand why. I can hardly muster the explitives for how much this is annoying me, and since this forum is a nice place, I won't share them.

Sounds like wild yeast to me if the beer used to be different, and now it's turning out bad repeatedly. Wild yeats will continue to ferment out everything, leaving you with a very bland beer. Super sanitize everything your beer will ever touch.

Sounds like wild yeast to me if the beer used to be different, and now it's turning out bad repeatedly. Wild yeats will continue to ferment out everything, leaving you with a very bland beer. Super sanitize everything your beer will ever touch.

Will wild yeast annihilate even hop character? Except for roast character, these beer seem to loose everything they had--aroma, flavor, malt, hops--in just few days.

Will wild yeast annihilate even hop character? Except for roast character, these beer seem to loose everything they had--aroma, flavor, malt, hops--in just few days.

In my unfortunate experience, yes, even hop flavor. The only thing left in mine was CO2 and harshness. No real flavor, and it seems to happen very quikly.

First one it happened to conditioned normally, then a few weeks later, started to turn. The next conditioned normally, then suddenly turned in a matter of days. The third was flavorless by the time I tried the first bottle. These were an brown ale, IPA, and I forgot the third right now. No malt, no hops, nothing in any of them. No real off-flavors either, just no flavor at all. I got rid of everything non-metal or glass in my brew system, including bottle boxes, and haven't had the problem since.

In my unfortunate experience, yes, even hop flavor. The only thing left in mine was CO2 and harshness. No real flavor, and it seems to happen very quikly.

First one it happened to conditioned normally, then a few weeks later, started to turn. The next conditioned normally, then suddenly turned in a matter of days. The third was flavorless by the time I tried the first bottle. These were an brown ale, IPA, and I forgot the third right now. No malt, no hops, nothing in any of them. No real off-flavors either, just no flavor at all. I got rid of everything non-metal or glass in my brew system, including bottle boxes, and haven't had the problem since.

This sounds basically like exactly what I'm experiencing. It's so horrible: CO2 and harshness. I've even noticed it in commercial beers that I've had kegged at the brewery.

Sounds like time for a major attack of cleaning/sanitizing, and perhaps a reconsideration of what you have been doing along those lines.

Back