Dry hydromel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRmeterman

Reaction score
I made a 1 gallon must with clover honey that came out to 1.065 and I'm using a champagne yeast (I like my mead dry). I added some yeast nutrients at the time I pitched.

Has anyone else had any experience making a dry hydromel? I'm concerned that it may end up tasting "thin" and it may benefit from a little flavouring. After reading some other threads here I was considering adding 1/3 to 1/2 oz of Saaz hops pellets to one gallon.

If someone can reassure me that the end product will still have some nice flavour, I'm willing to forgo the flavourings as well.

*sigh* I really should start making multiple 1 gal. batches at once so that I can experiment without fear of "ruining" the only mead I have in the pipeline.

Thanks HBTers!

I can't help you.... But I can tell you that I just sang that hole post to my little girl well giving her a bath. 'im using my phone ' and it sounded sweeet ! Some if it even rhymes .

I'm so happy my post could help with bath time. Even if it was a little :off:

Anyone else?

EDIT: Just realized that came off kind of assy. Sorry about that. Not what I intended.

Is it fermentation with hop?
Will you carbonate it? I always wonder is that fermentation can turn out like beer.

Never made a hydromel but reckon some light herbs would do good in there. Also, a good honey blend (Ex: Base Honey: Clover Honey Flavourful honeys: Orange Blossom and Lavender)

Is it fermentation with hop?
Will you carbonate it? I always wonder is that fermentation can turn out like beer.

Yes, I added 8 grams of Saaz today. After doing a little more research, it seems that adding some flavouring and carbonating should help add some body. So I think I'll bottle it and carb it by bottle priming with a little more honey.

www.gotmead.com was really helpful. If you haven't been there, go there, it's full of helpful mead information.

Also, a good honey blend (Ex: Base Honey: Clover Honey Flavourful honeys: Orange Blossom and Lavender)

I did use a single-source clover honey that I got at the local farmer's market.

Back