Dry hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corjyn

Reaction score
I am brewing my first extract with grains from a recipe instead of a kit and I have a question which maybe you brew wizards can help me with. The recipe calls for dry hop additions but doesn't specify when. I have a pretty good idea that you add them during fermentation, but primary or secondary is the question? Do you add the pellets directly or in a grain bag?

The recipe is Racer 5 clone IPA from "BYO 150 clones"

Thank you in advance.

John

As a fellow new brewer, I will try to offer the advice I have noted on that topic. I believe when you dry hop, you do it in the secondary or primary after fermentation has stopped. The reason people say that is fermentation will bubble away the aromas of the hops. I think you also want to do it in a grain bag to help keep things clear although I'm not to sure about that one. Hope that helps!

Dry hop the last 3 days of secondary, If you are going to secondary drop the hops in on day 4. that way you will get all the aroma.

Back