dry hops, timing and max hop flavor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I have a very simple grain bill.
83% 2 row
17% c 20
And 11oz of hops. (2.5oz dry hop)
I want to maximize my hop flavor in every way. I usually let my beers age and condition 3 - 4 weeks, but i know that with hop profile "time is money". Will it be a mistake to try and bottle in ~ two weeks with a 8 day dry hop? I know that three weeks is a general guideline, but i just want to maximize the flavor? Obviously the beer will be fully attenuated before bottling. Thanks

Three weeks is longer than most people recommend. One common guideline is 1-2 weeks, but others, such as Firestone Walker's Matt Brynildson, recommend 3 days or less.

If you're going to add dry hops less than 7 days after pitching, you might want to think about doing two four-day additions. For information on multiple dry hop additions, see Matt Brynildson's response here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/multi-stage-dry-hop-worth-379238/index3.html#post4785573

Three weeks is longer than most people recommend. One common guideline is 1-2 weeks, but others, such as Firestone Walker's Matt Brynildson, recommend 3 days or less.

If you're going to add dry hops less than 7 days after pitching, you might want to think about doing two four-day additions. For information on multiple dry hop additions, see Matt Brynildson's response here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/multi-stage-dry-hop-worth-379238/index3.html#post4785573

The dry hop would be eight days after pitching. Then sit for 8 - 10. Cold crashed for 2 and bottled.

I usually dry hop about a week, starting right after fermentation ends. Your recipe seems pretty crystal malt heavy, are you looking for a really sweet flavor?

Latest posts

Back