Dry hops if no secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so5724x

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing RYE P.A. from Northern Brewer. It says to add 1 oz Summit hops and 1.5 oz Palisade hops as you are boiling the wort.

Then, during the secondary fermentation period, it says to add another 0.5 oz Palisades hops to the secondary fermenter, five days before bottling.

But I don't have a secondary fermenter.

Should I just add the extra 0.5 oz Palisade hops when I am boiling the wort?

Or should I open up the cap on the primary fermenter and put the hops in five days before I bottle?

Please let me know, htanks!

Awesome, thanks so much for the rapid response! So it causes no problem if I take the lid off the fermenter before the beer is done to add the hops then?

The beer is pretty much done by then (so your gravity should be stable).
Wait until fermentation is complete so the bubbles don't carry off the fresh hoppy goodness.

The risk of infection is low, as most of the sugar the bacteria would eat, have already been eaten by the yeast. I mean, dont open it next to the litter box, or stick your hand in the beer and slosh it around, but at this point it will be ok to open it up, toss the hops in, and close it.

No problem at all to throw into primary. Definitely check gravity readings to make sure it's done before dry hopping. I've made this one too - not too shabby of a recipe. (Was my first with rye - and I've used it as a base with a few tweaks on some others since then.) Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back